Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby will only nurse in motion

Default Baby will only nurse in motion

I've created a monster. My 3 month old went through multiple nursing strikes lately, and I coaxed her back to the breast by nursing in motion. Now, it's the only way she will eat. She won't let me sit down (even if I do so gradually, or keep rocking her like I'm walking) or even stand still. Help! I have neck and shoulder problems, so I can't keep doing this. Nursing her in a sling/carrier is also out; I have to get her to let me sit down.

Default Re: Baby will only nurse in motion

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*acover4422 View Post
    . Nursing her in a sling/carrier is also out.
    why?

eta: congrats on getting her back to the breast! it's hard work. good job.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

hmmm...my thought is this is probably transitional, but anyway, what about a sitting arrangement that lets you sit but still be in motion? Exercise ball or similar, rocking chair, glider, office chair that swivels, or just any chair or couch and you sway side to side

my 3 month old baby has started to protest if i try to nurse her (or even just sit down with her) in the office chair while on the computer. i am pretty sure it is the computer and not having my attention she does not like, she wants me to nurse on the couch and talk to her. In other words I think there is a negative connotation to this chair for her. so maybe just changing where you sit might help?

What about sidelying? I have to nurse in motion a lot too with my 2.5 month old, who is about 15 lbs---overactive letdown being the probable cause of both the tremendous weight gain and the random frequent aversion to nursing. But often if she'll scream if I try to turn her into position to nurse while sitting, I can get her feeding like nothing ever happened if I lie down with her (after taking a couple minutes to calm her if she's really worked up). Have you tried that? Also if she'll at least start nursing, or if I want a break from walking but don't want her to freak out as soon as I sit down, a usually effective substitute for the motion is just "jiggling" her butt gently with my free hand so that her whole body is lightly moving. Hope your muscles can get some relief soon...

similar to what tejana said, could you try nursing in a dark, quiet room? maybe she is getting distracted when not in motion? (motion is often a suggestion for helping to focus a distracted nursing). sidelying and the butt jiggle are also personal favs that work wonders in my home!

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'll answer questions the best I can:

I can't nurse her in a carrier or sling because of my neck and shoulder. We've tried multiple carriers and slings but I can't bear her weight for more than a few minutes without pain. The next step is to find a babywearing group and see if they can help, but we just moved a few days ago and are moving again in just over a week, so finding support groups (including LLL, unfortunately) will have to wait until we're settled.

She will let me nurse her in a side-lying position first thing in the morning, if I catch her before she gets too frustrated, but that's the only time. She won't let me sit down at all, whether it's in a reclining/rocking/swaying chair or whether I still give her some motion. Last night I tried the 'butt jiggle' and it didn't help; but when I took her to a dark room with a noisy air conditioning unit blowing on her legs, she seemed content. Haven't tried that since, though.

One thing I forgot to mention is what she actually does when I nurse her without motion. She will kick and flail her arms around, drop the nipple, grab it again, and repeat. Sometimes she will latch on for a little longer, but then she'll start looking around and repeats the whole process.

that sounds really hard! the nursing, the pain, and the moving.

i think talking with a very good babywearing expert might really help, because there might be something out there that will work for you in this situation. there are lots of people around, but if you don't have any local leads, call my friend rachel who owns http://www.quirkybaby.com/ - i've found her incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

This seems obvious but have you tried swaddling her tightly before nursing to cut down on all her own activity that might be distracting her? I had forgotten this myself but I also find it easier to carry a swaddled baby. Especially now that she likes to grab my hair in her ultra strong grip, not to mention the hitting...

Very frustrating. Hopefully its a phase. My ds would not nurse anywhere but a certain rocking chair from 2-5 months. This was day and night. He still has to be nursed in motion to go to sleep about half tthe time and he's 16 mo and 28 lbs now

Yep, we've tried swaddling Usually she loves to be swaddled, but if anything it makes it worse when she's in a "nope, you've got to keep moving" kind of mood.

Zaynethepain, I don't think I can even lift 28lbs! Kudos do you for sticking at it!