Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to give my baby formula for the first time :(

Default Re: Had to give my baby formula for the first time :(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tallmadre View Post
    If he's upset about getting less food, could you cut it back gradually, like instead of 9 oz per feeding, take it down to 8 for a day, then 7, and so on until he's eating a regular amount.
    I disagree with this sentiment. I feel like this kind of severe overfeeding needs to be cut back very quickly. Because she is essentially WASTING her pumped milk! I would work to give him the pacifier AFTER each 3oz feeds. So that he can continue sucking. But I PROMISE he's NEVER getting that much milk from your breasts. And that is what the pumped bottles are supposed to be doing. Mimicking your breastfeeding. Don't let them squander your milk at daycare. Just because a baby will drink until a bottle is empty doesn't mean they NEED that much milk. It means that have learned to drink until the bottle is empty. Figure out how often between when you will be able to breastfeed and send in 3oz bottles accordingly.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hudsonsmom View Post
    The people who take care of him at work have two other newborns in the class who take about the same amount and those moms have no problem pumping enough to keep their babies satisfied.
    Then those 2 other babies are also being overfed. And while the moms may have no trouble pumping enough now, while their babies are newborns and their milk supplies are extra abundant, they may struggle to pump those huge amounts in the future. So I would not only work to decrease the amounts in the bottles your baby is getting, but also talk to the other breastfeeding moms about what you think is going on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies! When I thought about it, the other babies in his class are a little on the chunky side! Im going to cut back starting monday! Im so glad for this forum and for having such support and knowledge at my fingertips! Im determined for him to be 100% breast!!! YAAAY! I am rejuvenated!

Way too lazy for formula

Two days with the cutting back and he is doing well. He does get a little fussy after bottle feeding and wants more, but this seems to occur only when he is tired. I am able to pump and keep up!! Im so excited! I know he will get used to it and we will be ok! OH and the day I was supposed to give him formula I ended up being able to sub in his class and nursed him all day! Lucky me, we are still formula free!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it's going well!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I disagree with this sentiment. I feel like this kind of severe overfeeding needs to be cut back very quickly. Because she is essentially WASTING her pumped milk! I would work to give him the pacifier AFTER each 3oz feeds. So that he can continue sucking. But I PROMISE he's NEVER getting that much milk from your breasts. And that is what the pumped bottles are supposed to be doing. Mimicking your breastfeeding. Don't let them squander your milk at daycare. Just because a baby will drink until a bottle is empty doesn't mean they NEED that much milk. It means that have learned to drink until the bottle is empty. Figure out how often between when you will be able to breastfeed and send in 3oz bottles accordingly.
    Sigh, I feel like I'm always being told I'm giving people bad advice on this forum. I wasn't suggesting a process that would take weeks, but something that would take a few days without making him so upset that he's difficult to deal with.

Since you say there are times he is still a little fussy, maybe your DCP could monitor those times and adjust the bottle sizes a little, but keep the same amount for the entire day. Like we found my DD was falling asleep before finishing her morning bottle but seemed to want more after she woke up, so my sitter would give her only about 2 or 2.5 oz for her nap and then give her about 3.5 oz or so when she woke up, rather than 3 oz. for each bottle. And be careful about end of the day feedings. It took some trial and error to figure out that a bottle too close to when I was getting home resulted in baby not wanting to nurse, so we cut those down to 1.5 oz. if baby really needed one before I could get home. You'll get it figured out!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tallmadre View Post
    Sigh, I feel like I'm always being told I'm giving people bad advice on this forum. I wasn't suggesting a process that would take weeks, but something that would take a few days without making him so upset that he's difficult to deal with.
    Hang in there. We contradict each other all the time. Different opinions on things is part of what makes these forums great. Much of the advice we give is scientifically based, but often its just from our experiences, which can be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Hang in there. We contradict each other all the time. Different opinions on things is part of what makes these forums great. Much of the advice we give is scientifically based, but often its just from our experiences, which can be very different.
    The contrary advice may come off as critical, but it's all kindly meant.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"