Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for a bottle feeding

Default Pumping for a bottle feeding

My LO had his one month appointment with the pediatrician this morning. He is gaining weight well and is doing really well with breastfeeding. I asked him if I could introduce my LO to the bottle and he said yes.

So with that said, I would like to start letting my husband do the last feeding in the evenings when he is home (he works shift work so he is not home every night). When is the best time to pump for a feeding from a bottle?

Also, aside from the above, when is the best time to pump in general? I don't want my body to think that I need more milk --- I already struggle with this and sometimes I am really full if LO goes 3 hours before next feeding.

Default Re: Pumping for a bottle feeding

If you are going to skip a feeding and let your husband give a bottle, you would need to pump during that time so your body doesn't miss a cue to produce more milk. So that would cover your one bottle a day. That said, if I were you I'd wait a few more weeks to skip a feeding, just to make sure you don't affect your supply. It's so sensitive that first 6-8 weeks.

If you decide not to skip a feeding, I'd normally say the best time to pump is in the morning after one of your nursing sessions. Most women have higher production in the morning. But if you already have problems getting engorged, I'd caution you once again to wait a few more weeks before you start pumping in addition to nursing. Because pumping in addition to nursing is definitely going to tell your body to make more milk and you definitely don't want to pump your way into oversupply, which can happen with women who tend to produce a lot of milk.

5-6 weeks is typically the time moms who want to pump will start pumping, though usually it is in preparation to go back to work and will be replacing feedings with pumping sessions. For a mom who isn't planning to go back to work, I'd personally recommend they don't start pumping until 6-8 weeks because your supply-demand balance is so sensitive.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you for the feedback! Maybe I will hold off for a few more weeks - he is 4 weeks old tomorrow.

In the mean time, there are a lot of ways to have your DH bond with the baby, if bonding is your concern. Like having your DH wear baby in a sling, or give a bath, or take him for a walk, or do all the evening diaper changes (haha!).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"