Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I use this milk?

Default Can I use this milk?

So I was a little tired last night and left my bottles in the sink to soak, not remembering that I had thrown my tubing in the sink also. Oops.

Got to work this morning and went to pump, and, well, you can imagine how that felt. I ran to the baby store, to find they had every single possible replacement part except the tubing. With MacGuyver like skills, I went next door to the pet shop and grabbed some airline and valves, and using some tape and sterile gauze, made everything fit enough to get some truly excellent suction and have a productive pumping session.

I have one more session before I go home, and my question is, can I use this milk since these parts are obviously not designed for the purpose and not sterile/medical/food grade plastics?

I hate to dump it, but I will if it's possibly unsafe (but I remember from setting up my pump that the tubing was the one part they said you didn't need to sterilize).

I can call Medela to see what they say (after they say, "are you nuts?!") but thought that I'd ask here too.

(and yes, I am a little nuts, but hand expression doesn't work very well for me and it seemed like the best option to get pumping in the shortest amount of time possible!)

Default Re: Can I use this milk?

Did the tubing come in contact with the milk? If not- and I don't see why it would- then I'd consider the milk totally safe. If you have any doubt, you could always throw it in the back of the freezer for an emergency.

ETA: even if the tubing did come into contact with the milk, I'd feel comfortable using it. But that's me. Also, WTG with the MacGuyver skills!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think it did. I commonly have a problem with milk backing into the tubing but don't think any did so far.

It's funny, I have every other spare part along with some collection bags, etc, at work in case I forget stuff. Tubing never entered my mind! I swear the day I get all this right so that if I forget stuff I'm prepared, is probably the day I will be done pumping.

Id use it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would use it also. And FWIW, I never really took the tubing off the pump
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby