Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may slowly be going crazy

Default I may slowly be going crazy

I'm not sure where to start. This is more of a rant.

DD had her last set of shots (DH insisted we break them up, 2 last week, 2this week) on Tuesday. Did great! Barely tears! Then late that night started with a low fever. Wednesday morning 4:30am it was a higher fever. Gave her a cool, Luke warm bath. A little Tylenol and she was set for bed. Last night same thing, Thursday morning woke up again 5am higher fever and crying. No Tylenol this time, just kisses and cuddles. Then tonight, omg! I could of swore she became possessed! What is this? She's banging her mouth against my body, biting her fingers, I can't get her to settle down. She nurses with a fierceness then digs her fingers in her mouth while trying to nurse at the same time. It's 12:30, is she going to bed? I'm exhausted from the past few days and I've had to go to work. I'm trying to keep sane thoughts. I know my supply is good. I know we've been nursing 5 months like champs. This is teething. I know the basics, cold cloth, cold carrot, teething ring, etc. should I give her more Tylenol? I'm lost and losing it from no sleep! First time mommy rattles, I know. I'm trying. Any advice? I don't want to go completely crazy.
    First time mommy

I think I'm doing really well. Babies are amazing little creatures and every moment with her is a gift to me.

I'm not political but don't mess with my baby or her meal!

EBF <3 5 months old now
    Co-sharing sleep <3
    BLS when she gives us a thumbs up
    NIP, and she'll wean when she's ready

Default Re: I may slowly be going crazy

Hmmm... that sounds an awful lot like teething!

How old is DD? Have you felt her gums? Are they bumpy?

My DD is 7 months next week and just cut her first tooth yesterday (!). She spent the week before banging her head against our heads whenever she woke up, which she did a lot. Nursed a ton (and this is a kid who likes lots of little drive-by nursings ever hour while playing). Bit me for the first time while nursing. And, while she's always a fingers in the mouth gal, has been ramming her hands or anything she could in her mouth with quite a bit of force.

Of course it's hard to tell and for you worrying with this happening close to shots. But do check her mouth and know that teething is just one of those times when we will loose sleep and sanity.

Hoping you got through the night and raising my coffee cup to you this morning.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

i agree, sounds like teething. i'm a big believer in pain relief, at least until ds is old enough to refuse it knowledgeably.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My DD was acting completely crazy last night, too, and we figure it must be a new batch of teeth. If I've learned anything, it's that anytime I can't figure out why my DD is acting weird or having symptoms that don't follow other illness patterns, it's teething, even if teeth don't show up for a while. She has horrible nights where we're up worrying what the heck is wrong, why is she crying and wailing nonstop, and then she seems completely fine the next day. We were awake every hour or so last night, but DD wouldn't nurse and wouldn't go to me at all. She only wanted her daddy. That's very abnormal; she usually only wants me. She nursed fine and went to bed, then woke up every 15-20 minutes. Tried to nurse her, wailing started. We tried Tylenol, teething tablets, gripe water -- no difference. She would fall back to sleep, wake up, scream when I tried to nurse her (or even looked like I was getting ready to try), and reach for my husband. He had to get her back to sleep each time and ended up having to sleep next to her in bed (she usually sleeps with me). We checked her diaper, checked her temperature, tried everything. I got to work and DH said she's totally fine and happy this morning. How's your LO this morning?
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Tylenol that baby up! It sounds like teething to me too. When DD is really upset in the evening, running a little fever, and biting EVERYTHING, I Tylenol about 30 minutes before bed time and then have it upstairs in case she needs another dose in the wee hours. During the day, we chew on cold things, nurse nurse nurse and try distractions, but in the night time when EVERYONE'S sanity and sleep are at stake, Tylenol is my bff ) I hope your LO did better last night!

It seems like shots make children worse instead of keeping them healthy. That is why I chose not vaccinate my kids (and they are perfectly healthy and hardly ever get sick). Also they are trying to link the MMR vaccine to Autism and the Hep B vaccine to SIDS. Just be careful! And good luck with the baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nikkimarie View Post
    It seems like shots make children worse instead of keeping them healthy. That is why I chose not vaccinate my kids (and they are perfectly healthy and hardly ever get sick). Also they are trying to link the MMR vaccine to Autism and the Hep B vaccine to SIDS. Just be careful! And good luck with the baby
    Um, let's just shut this thread down now before it derails, ok? Or can we move this latest post, admin?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    Um, let's just shut this thread down now before it derails, ok? Or can we move this latest post, admin?
    sorry... didn't know it would offend you and didn't mean to.... That's just MY take on it and everyone has their own opinion. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nikkimarie View Post
    sorry... didn't know it would offend you and didn't mean to.... That's just MY take on it and everyone has their own opinion. Just saying
    no offense! vaccine-talk gets heated around here and can derail posts faster than a blink of the eye. i was more trying to head that off!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Ds is always inconsolable after shots as well. My arm ACHED when I got the dtap after his birth, so I figure that's part of it. Painkillers are sanity savers around here. I rarely give them in the day time but often need two doses at bedtime and early morning when ds is actively teething. It usually comes in waves, thankfully. Just when you think you can't take it anymore your lo will give you one halfway decent night's sleep.
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; November 2nd, 2012 at 12:38 PM.