Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 1/2 month old fussiness while nursing

Default 4 1/2 month old fussiness while nursing

Ive read other situations about this, and on kellymom. I keep reassuring myself, but so much of his behavior has changed in the past 2 weeks! At 4 months, he suddenly went from nursing a half hour on each side to about 10 min. But the fussiness increased. He fusses a lot more towards the end. I guess I just expected he'd unlatch to say he was done on a side. But sometimes he fusses after 10 vigorous suckles, and I don't see him swallowing. So I switch sides, back and forth until I get a letdown. It seems like he's frustrated the letdown isn't happening immediately. Ov never felt my letdowns, I just notice the gulping.

He has at least 9 wet and 3 stools a day. He nurses maybe every 1 1/2 hours. At night, who knows. we coal rep after the first waking. Which lately has been gOing to bed with me.

So this is all normal 4 month stuff? Is my letdown slow, or is he just demanding it sooner than he did?

Default Re: 4 1/2 month old fussiness while nursing

Normal 4 month old stuff. It may have to do with teething, or distractibility, or perhaps a normal adjustment to supply that has made letdowns happen a little slower. If it's a letdown issue, just put up with the fussiness, keep nursing, and let baby learn how to use his nursing skills to get the flow speed he wants. Often moms try to "fix" letdown issues- and that's counterproductive to the baby's learning experience.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you changed anything in your diet? Started a new medication?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

OMG thank god it's not just me. It was like as soon as we hit 15-16 weeks she went from easy to bf to IMPOSSIBLE. DD SCREAMS bloody murder at feedings for the first oh 10 minutes or so. I took her to the pediatrician, nothing wrong physically. I took her to my certified lactation consultant, and we cant figure whats wrong, so I'm guessing this is normal. BUT I'm in tears most of the day, I dont sleep at night, and I'm losing my freaking mind. She only wants to eat like 10 minutes or so after the screaming stops, and then she's hungry again in 30 minutes. Twice this week I thought about ditching BFing altogether, I'm at my wits end, but she wont even take a bottle. NOT EVER, not from anyone!

Zackndelayneysmama, you know what would keep me going this week? Hurricane Sandy. Imagine trying to wash and sterilize bottles and prepare formula with no access to power or clean water. No matter who irritating this stage is, it's just stage and it's gonna pass. And you'll have made such an amazing investment in your LO's future. You can do it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Fortunatly we had power through the whole thing. I love my DD and only want whats best for her, but even at this very moment I'm trying to feed her and she's screaming like she's dying. She seems to be having a hard time pooping, I know they say its normal for bf babies to go a few days without pooping, my DD poops everytime she eats usually, and for the last 4 days she hasnt been, she pooped once and that was with the help of the pediatrician. Her farts smell like rotten sewage. The pedi told me I could give her 1oz of prune juice if she seemed uncomfortable. Is that ok?

One more thing, she keeps popping off and sucking on her hand. Why's that?

After 6 weeks, it's normal for an exclusively breastfed baby to go a week, sometimes more, between poops. What's happening is that the baby's gut has matured to the point where she is digesting your milk really completely, leaving very little waste to excrete. What waste there is will sit in the baby's colon for a little extra time, and because it's sitting and getting more and more ripe, the gas that passes by it is going to smell rank. You can certainly try the prune juice, but you probably don't have to do anything except to start carrying an extra outfit for you and baby and some extra wipes, just in case you get a poopsplosion or poonami when your baby does finally get it together to poop.

If djs.mom sees this post she is going to bust me for giving this advice yet again- she says it's gross! - but try putting your lo in a warm bath when you think she's trying to poop or having a hard time pooping. SOmetimes the warm water is enough to relax the baby into letting fly with a big ol' poo. And hey, perfect excuse to scrub the tub...

Popping off in order to eat your hand is totally normal behavior for a baby. It may be about teething, or it may be that she has learned to use her hand as a pacifier and is having trouble knowing when to suck on mom and when to play with her tasty, tasty fingers. It should eventually pass as she learns that she just can't do that while she's nursing and still expect her meal to be delivered!

Yes, we can do it! My son sucks his hand too. Sometimes it's like this: suck suck milk, suck suck hand, suck suck milk, suck suck hand. And sometimes he tries to get both at the same time. It cracks me up.

My DD is now 16 weeks with behavior changes and I attribute it to 1) likely growth spurt 2) getting older and more curious about sights and sounds around her therefore more sensitivity to light/noise as well as more distracted ness at the breast.

One of my good friends whose baby is 3 months older told me that 4 months was a much rougher growth spurt for them than the previous ones. I say look at the positive. They're turning into little people, doing more new things and for me it's hard work yes but also exciting. For ex when she lays across my tummy she's lifting her head, moving her arms and pushing off with her legs. Per-crawling! So cool and slightly terrifying.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12