Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tips for increasing comfort at the pump?

Default tips for increasing comfort at the pump?

Hey pumping moms. Can you recommend ways to increase comfort at the pump? I pump while at work (3x/day), with a Medela PISA. I use the Simple Wishes hands-free pump bra, "Pumpin Pals" breast shields (which help a lot), and put a little olive oil on the breast shield before pumping. I keep the suction fairly low. Even so, by the last pump session of the day, everything feels a little sensitive, and by the end of the week, it's downright uncomfortable on my skin & nipples, and I dread the pump sessions and just look forward to the weekend of "recovery time" with pump-free breastfeeding with baby. Am I missing anything? Anything else I can do make my time at the ol' dairy station a little less uncomfortable?

Default Re: tips for increasing comfort at the pump?

Are you sure that the breastshields are the right size? My IBCLC told me that breastshields can be a culprit of pain if they're too big or too small. For a while, I was using shields that were too big and they were pulling on too much of the nipple and that was making it really uncomfortable.

I agree that your breast shields are the most likely culprit. Try going up to a larger size and see if it helps.
    Also, consider turning your pump suction down even further--I get the most comfort but also my best output
    turning the suction to about 1/3 of the maximum. Your experience may be different but there's no harm in experimenting
    With lower suction to see if it helps. Good luck!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I think my breast shields are OK. I was sort of in between the Medela 24s & 27s, so then I got the Pumpin Pals in the size Medium (23-29mm) and I found them more comfortable. I can't imagine I would use the Large (29-35). I guess I could go back to the Medelas and experiment with the 24s again to see if I going back to a smaller flange makes a difference.

I actually keep the pump at the lowest suction setting. I have tried inching it up a little, but it becomes uncomfortable, and I think I have a fast ejection anyway because I get a generous output even on a low setting, so I haven't worried about making it higher.

So I guess if the shields are OK and the suction is not too high, it's just the reality of pumping and I just need to deal with it :/