Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Confusion - HELP!

Default Pumping Confusion - HELP!

I am so confused on this whole pumping thing. I am a first time mom and I've heard and read so many different things on pumping. I'm trying to determine when the best time to pump is.

I've been told in the mornings after the first feeding is the best time to pump and then I've been told don't pump at all.

My LO usually is pretty consistent with eating every 2 hours during the day. Occasionally he will go 3 hours during the day but it doesn't cause enough discomfort to where I need to pump or express any milk.

My biggest problem is in the mornings. LO will go anywhere from 2 to 4 hours sleeping at night before waking for a feeding. So sometimes I am extra full, leaking, and just plain uncomfortable from being so full.

He is one month old, has been gaining weight extremely well, and is overall a healthy baby. Pediatrician said it was okay to start giving him a bottle if we wanted to at this point.

In the beginning (shortly after my milk came in), I was pumping because I was so engorged but then soon after was told to stop pumping because it would mess with the supply-demand issue. So with that said, I have a small stash of frozen bm in the freezer.

I'd like to start trying to give LO a bottle at night and occassionally if I need to be away, he will be comfortable taking the bottle from caregiver.

The biggest thing is I don't know the best time to pump, how much to pump off, etc. because I don't want my body to think that I am needing more milk to be produced. I have a great supply right now with no nursing issues so far. So what is the best thing to do? I need some direction, please!

Default Re: Pumping Confusion - HELP!

There are two reasons to pump:
    1) Your milk supply is low and you need the extra stimulation (doesn't seem to be your case).
    2) You are going to be separated from your baby and need to provide milk for the missed feedings (or you want a "break).

If you aren't going to be working outside the home, I would not pump regularly; that will only mess up your supply as it did in the early days when you were pumping to relieve engorgement. Since you have milk in the freezer, I would use that milk for any missed feeding and pump during that time. Alternatively, let's say you know you are going out to eat w/ your hubs or something; you can pump that morning after his first morning feed, since your supply is highest in the morning and you can relieve some of that overnight engorgement that way.

If you are going back to work outside the home, come back and let us know and we can give you tips on pumping regularly for work.

For overnight engorgement, what I do is wear a tight nursing sport bra under a tight nursing tank and sleep on my stomach; this inhibits letdown and keeps me from leaking as much or being as full.

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you for the info! That clears things up a little better for me.

One question regarding your above response.... when I pump, how much should I pump off? Again, I don't want to pump too much off and then my body think that I'm needing that much more milk!

We did give my LO a bottle of bm last night to see how he would do with it and he did very well.... it was 3oz and he was still showing signs of hunger after that. So I nursed him after he finished the bottle --- that seems like a lot of milk to me but he didn't spit up or anything after taking all of that. Does that sound normal for a one month old?

I am unsure at this point when I am going back to work - it could be within the next few weeks or it could be after the first of the year. So once I decide, then I will ask a million questions about that I'm sure ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    For overnight engorgement, what I do is wear a tight nursing sport bra under a tight nursing tank and sleep on my stomach; this inhibits letdown and keeps me from leaking as much or being as full.
    Just be cautious if you choose this route. For some moms, tight bras and/or tummy sleeping will cause plugged ducts and/or supply reduction that is greater than desired.

Usually the best and fastest way to stop nighttime engorgement is to put up with it. The more you leave milk in the breast, the more you let your body get the message that milk is sitting unused and the more likely it is that your body will reduce supply. If just putting up with the engorgement is too painful, try hand-expressing just enough to take the edge off the discomfort, while still leaving plenty of milk in the breast. That will give your body the "slow down, you're making too much milk" message, and your nighttime supply will drop- albeit not quite as fast as if you simply put up with the engorgement.

For leaking, I invested in a waterproof bed pad and used a towel over that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babyk2 View Post
    when I pump, how much should I pump off? Again, I don't want to pump too much off and then my body think that I'm needing that much more milk!
    You definitely don't want to overdo it! If you're pumping in place of a feeding, I would stop after 3-4 oz. If you're pumping in addition to a feeding, I'd stop after 2, and then pump the same amount at a second time during the day if you need to make a larger bottle. That way you're less likely to really ramp up an already abundant supply.

We did give my LO a bottle of bm last night to see how he would do with it and he did very well.... it was 3oz and he was still showing signs of hunger after that. So I nursed him after he finished the bottle --- that seems like a lot of milk to me but he didn't spit up or anything after taking all of that. Does that sound normal for a one month old?
    Yes, that all sounds pretty normal for a 1 month-old. 3 oz is usually quite sufficient for a baby that age, but he nay have been a little hungrier than average. Or he may have finished the bottle so quickly that he didn't realize how full he was. Or- and this is the one that seems most likely to me- he still wanted to suck after he finished the bottle, and mom is always the best way for a baby to get his sucking needs met!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So if I pump after a morning feeding, should I pump from the breast that LO nursed from or should I pump from the opposite side? According to the above reply you gave, you suggest only taking off about 2oz if I do it this way, correct?

Also, if I pump in place of a feeding, should I pump the 3-4oz from the side that baby would be due to nurse from for that feeding or should I pump from both?

If you pump after a feeding, I would use the breast you didn't nurse on, in order to avoid additional stimulation to the breast that was already somewhat drained. And yes, I would stop at 2 oz when you're pumping after nursing, because you don't want to make an oversupply problem worse. You want to be really cautious with the pump right now!

If you pump in place of a feeding... Hmm. I think that you'd probably want to pump off the breast that was due for a feed, just to keep things ticking at the same pace.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"