Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dental Work, Still Numb, Help! Can I feed my baby?

Default Dental Work, Still Numb, Help! Can I feed my baby?

Hi,
    My dd is 9 months old. She has a cow protein allergy, still gets all her nutrition needs met with breastmilk and only is exploring some solid foods. Today I had a cavity filled and checked with the dentist to be sure there were no dairy components to any of the things he was using, but in all of that I forgot to ensure that he was using a local anesthetic that is compatible with breastfeeding. Their office is now closed so I cannot call to ask what they used. My mouth is still numb and my daughter will be ready to eat soon. Do you think it is okay to feed her? Is there any risk in doing so even though I'm still numb? I do have a bottle of pumped milk to give her, but she knows I'm home so I would have to leave the house and saying good-bye when she is already hungry is not a good idea. What should I do?

Default Re: Dental Work, Still Numb, Help! Can I feed my baby?

I've nursed after fillings. I wouldn't stress about it.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Did you ask for a specific type of anesthesia?

I say go ahead. There's a reason those anesthetics are called "locals"- it's because they are local.

If you Still have a question, call Infant Risk http://www.infantrisk.com/. They can probably give you a rundown on safety for the commonly used dental anesthetics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I checked Kellymom and found that 2 of the possible meds are L3 and I kind of worry about that, but I'm just going to go for it. The feeling is almost back now. Thank you mommal and pianosinger for responding.

it is fine. most of the time the dentist uses lidocane and that's the same thing they use to numb you for stitches after childbirth.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby