Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First tooth - how bad will the biting be?! :)

Default First tooth - how bad will the biting be?! :)

Hi everyone,

My LO is 6 months and is getting her first tooth! It's just through the skin now. It's one of her front bottoms. Can anyone give me some info on biting? Like how bad it's going to be? And how to discourage it? I'm not looking forward to that little tooth poking into me.

Default Re: First tooth - how bad will the biting be?! :)

It seems like babies are all over the place with biting, as far as what I'm seeing on the forum. My LO only bites when she has teeth coming in or otherwise doesn't feel good. So she'll bite a few times over a few days, but then not again for a few months. She does it so infrequently that my attempts to discourage it seem to be forgotten by the time it happens again. I can usually feel her starting to chomp down and then I take her off immediately, usually with an unintended jump and gasp, and say "No biting, it hurts!" I hesitate to say it hasn't been as bad as I thought (no major damage), because I think some people have it worse. But I wouldn't live in fear.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

How bad will it be? Maybe not bad at all. A lot of babies never bite, or give no more than an occasional nip. My kids never bit. When a baby is properly latched on, it's generally not possible for them to bite without biting their own tongue, which they don't want to do!

If your baby happens to be a biter, the way to cope with it is this. First, try to identify when the bites occur. Babies who bite often do so at the conclusion of the feeding, when they are just fooling around at the breast rather than nursing purposefully with a good latch. Once you're alert to when the bites occur, watch for them. Sometimes repositioning baby- breaking the latch and relatching- will ward off a bite. If the baby does bite, calmly say "No biting" and immediately put the baby down and walk away for a minute or two. You may have to do this multiple times before the baby makes the connection that bite = end to fun nursing time. But eventually he'll get it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There are some great articles on the LLL Resources pages about biting. They were very helpful to me:
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbbiting.html

Mine just got her first two teeth and is working on her next two. The biting seems to come and go in waves, luckily she hasn't done it in a while so I hope she's past it. I agree with filmmommy of removing her from the breast. I usually also say No Biting! but I don't know how much of that sinks in. I also tend to stop the feeding sessions if she's starting to get distracted, or I don't feed her if she seems distracted when we're starting out.

Don't live in anticipation of biting. It may happen it may not. It doesn't happen just because they get teeth.

Way too lazy for formula

If you haven't had issues with clamping down so far, you may not have issues with biting. It's more common to have latch issues pop up after teeth come in, because baby is working around new things in her mouth. You may have issues with scraping, where they let their top teeth rest against your skin. Usually shifting your position, tilting baby's head forward or back, things like that can help relieve that kind of problem.

Teething for me usually just meant nursing more frequently to help them get some pain relief.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with everything still.here said. Everything! Our LO has little teeth - SHARP teeth, too! - but any biting is due to readjustment on either of our parts, not because he is trying to bite. I wonder though, he has a certain mischievous look in his eyes sometimes.... and perhaps, one day, he will decide to bite, just to see my reaction. I don't live in fear of it though. ;-) He has to eat!