Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I tell my LO is satisfied after a feed?

Default How can I tell my LO is satisfied after a feed?

I know there is probably a thread out there that lists this question, but I couldn't locate it.
    I know in theory when babies are satisfied but I'm wondering after my little one feeds if she's satisfied or just tired out. A feed takes about an hr or so because she's so sleepy and I keep having to wake her up. So how can I tell she's had enough? I would say 4-5 of her diapers are at least heavy wet and she's poops at least 5-6 times in 24 hr period. But I'm still concerned because I just stopped supplementing and Breastfeeding exclusively so I am still wary.
    Thanks!

Default Re: How can I tell my LO is satisfied after a feed?

How many times are you feeding in a 24hour period of time?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    How many times are you feeding in a 24hour period of time?
    She feeds approx 5 times but then cluster feeds from 6pm to 12am. Does that too little?!

I can't tell yet. But maybe not. Today I want you to count. Since she woke this morning until 2morrow morning keep track. You want your baby nursing AT LEAST 10-12 times in a 24hour hour period of time. So how many times does your baby nap during the day? Are you nursing up and down from those?

Way too lazy for formula

Ah...nursing up and down? Not sure what u mean. I would say she has maybe three naps a day until she starts to cluster feed. But unless I wake her to eat, she wakes up around the 4 hr mark and waking her is next to impossible!

I can give you an example of how she eats. Yesterday she started to eat at 6 and went to sleep just after midnight. She woke up at 0330 and fed till approx 0415. At 0800 she started to feed her again and it lasted for about an hr. I think she was having some issues with how fast thd flow was. It's almost 12noon and will be waking shortly to eat. I will keep track and post!
    Last edited by @llli*bonniefleming; October 29th, 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

I mean do you nurse her when she goes DOWN for her nap and immediately when she wakes UP?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I mean do you nurse her when she goes DOWN for her nap and immediately when she wakes UP?
    Yes. I nurse her till she falls asleep. When she wakes, she gets a bum change then I start nursing her again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bonniefleming View Post
    Yes. I nurse her till she falls asleep. When she wakes, she gets a bum change then I start nursing her again.
    So based on this, with the three naps a day that mean she is eating AT LEAST 6times a day just around naps and I assume that she also nurses upon waking in the morning? So that's already 7 day time feeds even if you aren't trying to nurse her at any other point. This combined with the cluster feeding she is doing at night would constitute 10 feeds a day at least. So this information combined with the number of diapers she is making a day is an overwhelming amount of physical evidence that supports the fact that you are in fact making enough milk and that your child is eating enough. I wouldn't worry. Just continue to give her unlimited access to your breasts. How old is the baby? I am not even sure you need to continually try to wake her.

Way too lazy for formula

I also was wondering how old baby is and weight gain/loss history