Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doesn't Like Baby Food.......

Default Doesn't Like Baby Food.......

My little guy is almost 8 months old and is not interested in baby food at all. He is breastfed and LOVES it. Me too We've tried Rice Cereal and many first foods. He DOES seem very interested in things he can eat on his own, so we got some of those mesh feeders because I am so worried about him choking. He has gagged on Cheerios, which he LOVES, but really scares me. He seems to like bananas and apples (even peas) in his mesh feeder, but WILL NOT eat the mushy baby food bananas or apples. (Or anything else.) I am totally fine with this because I know he will do things when he is ready. I do have a few concerns though. First: Do I need to worry about his iron level? Second: I think he is ready to eat some things, but just does not like baby food. I would love some suggestions on what to feed and how. Or should I wait? Again, he's almost 8 months old but is not crawling with belly off the ground. He is still just creeping. Thanks so much for any ideas or suggestions.

Default Re: Doesn't Like Baby Food.......

I can't find the reference right now, but exclusively breastfed babies who begin solids at seven months or later have been found to have high iron levels at one year of age than breastfed babies who begin solids earlier.'

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

Iron--According to THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by LLLI, the iron in human milk is better absorbed by your baby than is the iron in cow's milk or iron-fortified formula. This means that the quantity of iron in human milk is appropriate for baby instead of the larger quantity in cow's milk. The full-term healthy baby usually has no need of additional iron until about the middle of his first year, around the time he starts taking solids. The high lactose ad vitamin C levels in human milk aid the absorption of iron, and breastfed babies do not lose iron through their bowels.

If there is concern about the baby's iron levels, a simple hemoglobin test can be done in the doctor's office. If necessary, it is easy to offer the baby foods which are naturally rich in iron. However, iron drops and iron-fortified foods sometimes cause digestive upsets when given to babies and can actually reduce the efficiency of iron absorption.

Here's an older article that I had forgotten about that says a lot about iron and solids: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan00p130.html

"Baby food" is not necessary -- the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding includes some great ideas for first foods including mashed banana and avocado. Here's another link for too: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html Please note that although the AAP changed its recommendation nine years ago for beginning solids to not before six months, many doctors and others still bring out the outdated "4-6 months" suggestion.

I've known a great many 8 month olds who were not yet creeping -- I'll bet your little guy is doing just fine, but you can always ask your baby's doctor if you are concerned.

Default Also (OT)

I'm finding my "new arrival" designation to be particularly amusing on a board where we're primarily talking about babies -- I was a "new arrival" over 30 years ago!

Default Re: Doesn't Like Baby Food.......

My daughter never liked "baby foods" either. Have you actually tried them? They taste awful.

I just ground up what we were having for dinner and she gobbled it up.