Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Couldn't pump for a couple of days = lower milk supply HELP!

Default Couldn't pump for a couple of days = lower milk supply HELP!

I was at a conference for work and there wasn't enough time to pump during the day. Now my milk supply has dropped!! Any ideas on what to do to get it to where it was. I pump four times a day at work and got 12 oz on average a day.

Default Re: Couldn't pump for a couple of days = lower milk supply H

Breast milk supply works on a demand-supply system, so decreased demand = decreased supply, and increased demand = increased supply.

Go back to your regular pumping schedule, but add in at least 1 (preferably 2-3) sessions per day on top of that. This could be: once in the evening after your baby goes to bed; overnight; in the morning after your first nursing session; at work if you can squeeze it in. Getting your baby to nurse more him/herself will also help (and probably better than the pump).

Make sure you are eating well and getting plenty of fluids.

There are herbs such as fenugreek that can help (make sure you aren't preg), but honestly you probably just need to increase your nursing/pumping sessions temporarily to get back on track.

And for the record, it is crap that they didn't give you time to pump during the day. If these conferences are going to be a regular thing, you may want to work out a system where you can pump at least ONCE during the day so this doesn't happen again.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks for the advice. This was a one time thing with the conference. So it shouldn't be a problem. My job is very very good about letting me pump when I need to. So I will start taking fenugreek again and try to add more pumping sessions. I really hope this works.
    Thanks Again!

If you add in extra pumping sessions, it WILL work to increase your milk supply over time. Just keep in mind, it can take up to a week to see increases in your supply from extra pumping--you may respond faster than that, but maybe not. So keep at it and don't give up if you don't see an improvement in the first few days! If you stick with it, it will work!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I am still pumping and not quitting, but I am getting very discouraged. I BF my son when I got home and all through the night and this morning before I got to work. When I pumped at work I only got 1 oz. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement. I have a good support system at home, but I wish that I could do better. I am upping my pumping by one during work. So I am now pumping 5 times a day at work. Then I will start pumping after each feeding at home. I am back on 6 Fenugreek a day, trying to drink a lot of water, and ate oatmeal this morning for breakfast. Hopefully all of these things will make it work. Last week before my conference (I missed pumping and fenugreek) I was averaging 12 oz a day, which is really good for me. So hopefully I can get back there soon!

Just give yourself time, mama! If you're patient and persistent, you'll get where you want to be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"