Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS questions and daytime BF

Default BLS questions and daytime BF

Hi everyone, my 7.5 month son loves solids. He will eat anything in front of him. I started with veggies and fruits, mostly food milled but lately we have moved onto some chunky foods.

How do you handle feeding soupier foods for BLS? For example, I made some lentils and veggies but it's not easy to grasp and needs to be spoon fed. He's not really able to feed himself with a spoon yet but he also seems impatient with me spoon feeding him. Do you just put the food out on the tray and they just use their hands even if it's kind of soupy/liquidy? what about yogurt?

Also a lot of people talk about giving your baby what we eat but I prefer not to give my son salt. So for example if I make veggie pancakes, do I omit the salt so we can give some to the baby?

I offer the breast when he wakes up, before he goes down for a nap, and pretty much all the time during the day. He just will take a few sips here and there and then pushes me away. I don't want to keep pressuring him but just keep offering even if he isnt taking? Our last feeding is at 6:45p before bed and he nurses both sides almost completely. Then he gets up around 1-2a and eats a ton. Then maybe again at 6. Those 2-3 nursings he drinks a lot. So maybe that's why he isn't drinking enough during the day? I am worried that he isn't drinking enough during the day so I hesitate to fill him on solids. But he seriously digs food so I want to encourage that too.

I am so used to having him want to nurse all the time that this pushing away is new and sad.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Default Re: BLS questions and daytime BF

I think you're right to be cautious about your LO's solid intake. Babies are all over the map when it comes to solids. Some of them will barely touch them, others can't get enough of them. With the latter type of baby, you want to make sure that the baby doesn't eat so much solid food that he starts to exclude breastmilk from his diet. You want to do what you're doing: proactively offer the breast at frequent intervals even if the baby doesn't demand, and always nurse immediately before offering solids so that the baby is mostly full of breastmilk. Since your baby is pushing you away, it might help to take him into a dim, quiet place (like a bedroom) when it's time to nurse. That can help cut down on distractions from the big busy world, and lead to better nursing sessions.

With soupy foods, you have to spoon-feed, allow baby to spoon-feed himself, or serve the food to baby in a cup. If you make lentils again, just take some out before they turn mushy and reserve those firmer ones for the baby. And if you prefer that baby not have salt, there's no harm in making his food low-sodium by keeping back a portion for the baby and not putting salt in it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I nurse only in the bedroom. Very quiet. And he still just sips a little and eventually pushes me away. I always start with nursing in bed and then I will move him to a different position to change it up when he starts getting fussy.

I did feed yogurt. And we toasted bread and let him dip his crust in it. I stayed away from all soups because I never met one that didn't have salt in it. And Salt should not be fed to babies until they are over a year old. As their livers aren't mature enough to process it before then.
    I involved my baby in the ritual of about one meal a day at the 7.5 month point. And that would consist at the time of 2-3 things cut into french fry shaped pieces put on a tiny saucer. So small amounts that would not interfere in breastfeeding but gave him a chance to both explore solid food and practice using his mouth.

Way too lazy for formula