Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going back to work and not sure what to do...

Default Re: Going back to work and not sure what to do...

with the PP: giving supplements during those evening cluster feeds is a good way to end up with poor supply. I just want to address the following specifically:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sawyerchic28 View Post
    I feel my breasts dont even fill up enough.
    It isn't necessary to let your breasts "fill up" in order for you to have milk. The breast is always making milk. The emptier the breast is, the faster milk gets made. The fuller it is, the slower milk gets made. This is a smart move on your body's part: if the breast kept making a lot of milk when the milk wasn't being used, you'd rapidly end up uncomfortable, and maybe with a plugged duct or mastitis to boot.

If you simply allow the baby to nurse, she will eventually get a full meal, even from what feels like an "empty" breast.

A lot of moms start out feeling full or engorged frequently, or even most of the time. But that situation doesn't last. Most moms eventually adjust to make only as much milk as their baby or the pump demands, and when that adjustment happens it's normal to feel empty or flat or deflated- pick your adjective!- pretty much all the time.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; November 1st, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I hear what you are saying and i do agree. The only reason i wanna use EBM or formula once in a while in the evening is because of the nipple pain. Im being treated for thrush but im not completely sure thats my problem. When she feeds it hurts so when she cluster feeds in the evening the pain is crazy. She tugs and fights it because she is not getting enough making the pain so much worst. I can handle it if i have to. My in laws bought similac organic already mixed formula. Is this good? Im okay with my DD getting that on weekends. Already made formula seems annoyong because once you open it you have to use it all in 48 hours.

Can you describe the pain you're in? Is it burning, or is it more of a pinching? Does the skin of your nipple ever blanch (turn white), or perhaps blanch and then turn bluish purple?

Tugging and fighting the breast in the evening is usually not about flow speed or how much milk is in the breast- it's just a tired, fussy baby thing. But baby shouldn't be causing you pain when she feeds- that implies that there's something that needs to be adjusted.

As for the formula... Who knows? The name brand stuff is usually the same as what is in the much cheaper generic cans.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Its a burning pain. Almost like an ultra sensitiveness in between feedings. The fussiness she gets isnt every evening. I bet she is just tired but she acts like she is hungry. The pain is when she latches and sometimes during feeding. Ill give it more time.