Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work and not sure what to do...

Default Going back to work and not sure what to do...

I start back to work this weekend. I will only be working weekends and i dont know what to do. I am leaving my DD with her grandparents. I have yet started to pump. My DD is 6 weeks. I was wondering what is the best way to store milk. I was going to pump thursday and friday for the weekend and just leave it in the frig. How much milj should i put in each storage bag, i am going to use milk freezer bags from babies r us. I want to freeze some for emergencies as well. Do i just dump milk i pump from playtex liners into bags, put in frig, then put bak in liners and place in bottle and feed. Please help for i am a new mother and having anxiety.

Default Re: Going back to work and not sure what to do...

First, make sure your DD will take a bottle! She may not take one from you, since she knows you have the real thing only millimeters away. So have daddy or grandma offer it, when you are not in the house (if possible).

Second, start pumping ASAP and make sure that you're going to have enough milk for the time you will be away from your baby. That usually means about 1.5 oz per hour of separation. Moms who pump after feedings when they are with their babies may have difficulty yielding that much milk in addition to what their babies take- not saying you will have difficulty, but you should be aware of the possibility!

Breastmilk is good in the fridge for up to a week, so the milk you pump today and tomorrow and Friday does not need to be frozen. Just suggest that grandma uses up the older (Wednesday) milk first.

When you get a freezer stash going, I suggest pumping into a bottle (no liner) and then dipsensing that into storage bags of 2-3 oz apiece. The storage bags can then be poured back into a bottle (no liner necessary, with many brands of bottles!) or sorage bag and fed to the baby.

Again, most babies need only 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation, so the quanities in each bottle should be small, no more than 2-3 oz. Keeping the bottles small reduces overfeeding and waste. If your baby doesn't finish a bottle, it may be returned to the fridge and the unused portion used at the next feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The bottles imma use only use the liners..no bottom in the bottles...the ones i bought and the ones that came with pump.

Excellent advice. I would add a couple of things:

- You won't need a large emergency stash, especially if you are only going to need EBM 2 days per week. I would recommend 3-4 "days" worth of milk tops (where day = whatever you need for one of your work days). More than that and you will drive yourself crazy trying to maintain the stash (rotating out old milk, keeping track, finding space in your freezer, etc).

- You only need to pump enough milk one day to give the next, so after you've built up a couple of days' head start, you won't need to freeze anymore. You'll give Saturday's milk on Sunday, and Sunday's milk the following Saturday. Eventually you will rotate out the oldest milk from your freezer stash. If you aren't pumping enough during work to give the following day, then you can make up the difference by getting an extra session or two throughout the week.

- Once milk has been chilled and then heated for a feeding, it should not be re-heated a second time, so you can use any unused milk @ the following feeding but just don't heat it up again. Eventually my kids took their milk straight out of the fridge anyway.

There's an excellent pumping/milk storage subforum (haven't checked so see if you've been there yet). HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

So my inlaws will be watching her and they wanna use formula. I know this is ok but im apprehensive about adding formula. It would only be the couple of feedings i miss on weekends. Looking for opinions. It would be less stressful on me because i would not have to worry about pumping.

Using formula is NOT okay, not if you want to feed your baby breastmilk. Your caregivers MUST follow your wishes when it comes to decisions about your baby. YOU are the mommy, and mommy makes the rules!!! If grandma and grandpa won't bend, find someone else to watch the baby. Seriously. Draw a line in the sand now, or your in-laws will NEVER stop undermining your parenting choices.

It's hard to transition from being a daughter or daughter-in-law to being a mommy. A daughter or DIL will bend all the time to keep peace in the family. But a mommy cannot and must not be so flexible. A mommy needs to protect her child and her right to make decisions for her child, or she and her baby will both suffer.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. But if my ILs were trying to get me to feed my child formula, I wouldn't waste one second telling them where they could stick the can.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If YOU want to give formula, give formula. If YOU want to give EBM, give EBM. These are YOUR choices, not theirs. If it's a deal-breaker, I promise it will be worth it to find someone else to watch your child. This is a boundary issues; people who don't respect boundaries can react strongly when new boundaries are enforced, so you might expect some blow-back. This is NORMAL and to be expected from these people.

Why, oh why, are people so afraid of EBM?!?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I agree with the others--it's YOUR choice whether to give formula or breastmilk, not your inlaws'. Keep in mind, you will almost certainly need to pump some at work anyway if you're going to be gone from your baby for more than 3 hours or so--both to relieve engorgement, prevent mastitis, and to protect your milk supply--so you might as well at least have them give the baby whatever you're able to pump while at work, and if necessary (if you can't pump enough and don't want to pump on days you're not working) supplement any shortfall with formula. Not pumping at all at work isn't really a workable option, unless you work really short shifts (like less than 3-4 hours).
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I do feel it will be easier to have formula on hand for emergencies. I love the idea of pumping when i can and during work on the weekends and using that milk first. Then use formula if needed. Also some nights because my supply is lowet during the evening and thats when she wants to cluster feed. Because of this she really hurts my nipples because she isnt getting as much milk. I feel my breasts dont even fill up enough. This would be a good time to use either EBM or formula if needed. My DH is on board with most things involving out DD which is good because we live with my inlaws. They do respect what we say they just help when needed. Thanks for all the advice ladies you guys have been lifesavers and a wonderful support during this transition into motherhood.

FYI, giving EBM or formula during the evenings when your baby wants to cluster feed might seem like a good idea, but it's really not. Why? Because your baby cluster feeds like that partly to increase your supply as she goes through growth spurts (and also partly just for comfort and closeness with you, Mama!). Letting her nurse as much as she wants is the best way to ensure that you continue to make enough milk for her. Whenever she nurses, she is sending your body the signal to 'make more milk!'. So if you give her a bottle (of formula or EBM) during the evening when she's hungry, you're short-circuiting that system and preventing your supply from increasing to meet her demand. Also FYI, your breasts may FEEL empty, but they are never truly empty--there is milk being made continuously. So no matter how long it's been since she last nursed, if she nurses she will get some milk. She might just have to work a little harder for it than at times when your breasts are fuller. So I would really discourage you from giving bottles during the evenings because it could cause you to run into problems with low milk supply, wheras if you just keep nursing her whenever she wants to nurse, things should even themselves out so you're producing exactly as much milk as she needs. Please know I say all this in a friendly tone and with the intention of providing information. I know cluster feeding can be frustrating and stressful for mama, I've been there too!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!