Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about first PPAF?

Default Question about first PPAF?

I was on the mini pill after I had my son while Bfing him.

This time I didnt go on anything so just my own hormones. However, been thinking AF was coming since 8 weeks PP. had one day of spotting. then another two days of spotting around 9 weeks PP. both times were dark brown and i only needed a pantyliner. no flow.

so now im 12 weeks PP [as of this past monday] and the spotting started again on saturday evening. same color as last time and there doesnt seem to be a "flow", if you kwim. i just put a lite tampon in and its never full by the end of the day.

however, this time, its been daily since saturday evening, so 4-5 days now.

this is the longest yet ive had this "spotting". i dont have cramps and its not like a typical period.

would you consider this your first AF now? or is it likely just breakthough spotting/bleeding due to hormones?

Default Re: Question about first PPAF?

I think that for purposes of birth control, any postpartum spotting has to be considered an indication of returned fertility. So at this point, if you're relying on breastfeeding for contraception, it's time to think about some sort of back-up method (barrier methods are all great!) or open yourself up to the possibility of another baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think that for purposes of birth control, any postpartum spotting has to be considered an indication of returned fertility. So at this point, if you're relying on breastfeeding for contraception, it's time to think about some sort of back-up method (barrier methods are all great!) or open yourself up to the possibility of another baby.
    no not concerned about birth control. we use pull out and have for many years.

im just wondering if this is really an AF or if its just breakthrough bleeding. just wondering, if i will know when its truly my First AF?

I had some spotting around 3 months pp also. And it was weird. I was convinced I was getting my period. I was dissappointed because I had gone 21m after #1. I am pretty sure I ovulated last week, so I am now expecting my first ppaf at 15 months. So average.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My husband and I also used the pull out method for years, but that IS how we got pregnant last time. If you do choose that as your form of birth control, please beware that it may not be as effective as another form of BC. I would DEF go on something else.