Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bad latch and LAZY BABY!! HELLP GOING TO QUIT!!! :'-((((

Default bad latch and LAZY BABY!! HELLP GOING TO QUIT!!! :'-((((

i do not know how he got to be so freaking lazy - or why he wants to do this stupid nipple only latch. HE HAS NOT HAD A BOTTLE OF ANY KIND FOR WEEKS BUT he gets the nipple in his mouth and just waits for the milk to fall in his mouth?? what do i do?? he is SCREAMING RIGHT NOW BUT THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO. i have been trying all day to fix his latch, every position under the sun... EVEN got in the tub... nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: bad latch and LAZY BABY!! HELLP GOING TO QUIT!!! :'-((

First thing's first. Take a deep breath. It's going to be alright. You sound really frustrated, and I totally understand the stress. But your baby can pick up on that stress too and it won't help.

Can you hand express? Do you have a pump? When's the last time you nursed? Has the latch issue been going on for a while or is this something new?

The first thing I'd suggest is to try either hand expressing or pumping just enough to get your milk going, rub some on your nipple and see if you can at least get him to eat that way, let it drip into his mouth for now if that's what it takes to get him fed. Later, when you are both calmer and he's not hungry, you can work on getting your latch right.

Everything's going to be alright. We can help you work through this.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thank you for responding. he has been on the breast all day, literally, with maybe 4 30-45min breaks. for weeks, he is usually on more than he is off until 8 or 9 pm, then is up every 3 to nurse, and does so with no problem, until 5-6 am.

daytime, he always gets a few let downs and falls asleep, despite all the tickling/rubbing/etc. i can pump out 1-2 oz after his last night feed, but i dont know if that is because there is plenty of milk, or if he is not getting it. i dont pump daytime because he always wants to be on.

he also has been yanking/clawing at his head/ear, but the ped cleared him last thurs for an ear infection. he is 9 weeks.

tday i was trying to get him to nurse by squirting some into his mouth, and he would latch, but sit there and wait for it to just squirt in.

How's his diaper output been? As long as that is normal, you know he's managing to get his needs met, no matter how weird his behavior at the breast is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like you've had a really frustrating day. I've seen your other posts and you've really struggled with this.

Take a deep breath. Try not to blame your baby. You are both doing the best you can. Breastfeeding is not everything. Your baby needs a sane mother most of all. You will get through this.

Can you give your local LLL leader a call? It would be really good if someone could be with you in person. They will be there to support you whatever you decide to do.

How are his diapers and weight gain?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

My apologies for the freak out. i was, tho'. badly. I had dh administer a bottle of ebm when he arrived home, and this was shortly after ds nursed in the tub, after massaging etc... Only to have him scream bloodcurdlingly, and arch his back, at the breast once he was out.

He has been having wet diapers regularly, his poop not regular as he has been diagnosed with dyschezia. I am going nuts with the fussiness, and nursing habits, I don't know if it is because he is hungry and the milk tastes funny because of something I ate? I have been trying very hard not to eat odd things after the wasabi incident... Or if he is getting a sore throat like the kids? Or if he is just truly a lazy suck?

Yes, we have battled many things.
    1.tongue tie, fixed on discharge day.
    2. Thrush at ten days
    3. Post partum depression, which caused anorexia, affecting supply
    4. Inhibited letdown due to anxiety ( klonopin helped this)
    5. Multiple plugged ducts
    6. Vasospasm (still have this)
    7. Blister on the nipple (still have this too)
    8. Infant reflux (upper GI)

I am weary and worried that his latch and habits have led to inefficient milk transfer, and he is just not getting enough when he drinks, as every nursing session is a fight (daytime that is), with breast compressions to increase his intake and keep him feeding and Awake, constantly bugging him (in vain) to keep him awake, and only to have him pull off and purse his lips and not take any more... For 45 minutes or so. I can't get anything done around the house, and my other kids are feeling neglected, and they too are tired of a frustrated, upset mommy and screaming baby? :-(

I don't know if the local LLL leader would come out here, we are so remote.

pS. My favorite foods are oatmeal, chocolate, and garlic... I have been trying to cut the garlic ( sigh) the chocolate is harder! ESP with all the stress!
    Last edited by @llli*alexx; October 30th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Mama, I think you need to let yourself off the hook for your baby's behavior. A lot of breastfeeding moms feel like they must be responsible for everything their baby does/doesn't do- if the baby is fussy, it must be because they ate chocolate or had a cup of coffee or looked at some broccoli... In general, breastfeeding moms do not need to eliminate foods or food groups from their diet. Even things like alcohol and caffeine are okay in moderation. And babies actually LIKE their milk flavored with the things mom ate- they don't expect or want a totally bland diet. This link explains more about diet and breastfeeding: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Please go and have a big bowl of oatmeal for me- of all the things on your "forbidden foods" list, oatmeal is the absolute least likely to cause issues. In fact, many moms eat it proactively when breastfeeding, as it is supposed to increase supply. Okay?

Someone which could be impacting you right now is colic. 9 weeks is right in the prime zone for it, since colic usually crops up around 3 weeks, peaks between 3 weeks and 3-4 months, and then is gone by around 6 months. The disheartening, blood-curdling screams, back arching, and breast refusal are often components of colic. But since your baby has reflux, you may want to talk to his doctor about his medications. Babies often outgrow their dosage.

Tips for dealing with colic:
    - Swaddle
    - Motion: rock in a rocker, swing in a baby swing, ride in the stroller or car
    - White noise: tune the radio to static, run the dryer or vacuum cleaner
    - Calm house: lights, tv, and stereo down or, preferably, off
    - Warm bath
    - Trip outside
    - Snuggle baby close in a sling

Coping with colic is all about changing the baby's sensory input. It tends to be worst in the afternoon/evening, so that is always a great time to bundle baby up and go for a walk. If you take your older kids, too, then the whole family will get refreshed.

I know this sucks, but it's temporary, I promise!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"