Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping to get more sleep?

Default Re: Pumping to get more sleep?

About the co-sleeping - is that the same as bed-sharing? Because she has always slept in her cradle and now her crib right next to my side of the bed. How do you "master" bed-sharing? Tips? I have found sleeping together really difficult - although I do try it once in a while for naps. But I feel like she's such a light sleeper that I would wake her, and with three of us in bed I really can't get comfortable enough to sleep. (We live in Italy and they don't have king-size beds here). Even when trying during naps, more often than not I sneak away after 45 minutes of laying awake and leave her to sleep. I thought about putting a double mattress on the floor in her bedroom and "moving in" there with her, but hubbie isn't happy about us not sleeping in the same bed. But I am just SO exhausted - I was in tears this morning at 7am because last night hadn't gone any better. I fed her from 3 to 3:30, she was up again at 5, and up again at 7. I am exhausted!

Is co-sleeping the same as bed-sharing? Sleeping in the same bed so far hasn't worked. She has always been in the cradle and now the crib right next to my side of the bed. But with the three of us in bed I feel squished and can't get comfortable enough to sleep. Plus I'm paranoid about waking her up. I've thought about putting a mattress on the floor of her room and kind of "moving in" there with her, but my husband has so far not supported that idea as he doesn't want us to not sleep in the same bed. For you bed-sharers - did you sleep in your bed with your husband or go to the baby's room? What are some tips on "mastering the art" that could maybe help this work for me too? I am really open to experimenting - I'm tired of being a zombie and grumpy all the time!

Sorry - replied twice by accident. See how tired I am???

co-sleeping is the general term for having the baby in the same room with you. so what you're doing is co-sleeping. but bed-sharing is actually what has made the difference in my life, because i don't have to get up or wake up to nurse.

i sleep in a queen bed with DS and the dog. it would be way too crowded with DH here. but we slept at different times before the baby - he's a night owl - so it wasn't that big a transition for us, actually. it seems to me a lot of people do something like this, at least "temporarily" for the year or two their babies are waking frequently. for me, since i work and make the paycheck, getting sleep was non-negotiable.

you might also look into "side-carring" the crib - you can find pics online if you search.

others have said on here, and it's also true in my case, that a lot of the resistance from husbands about co-sleeping with baby (and not with husband) is about concern (valid or not) about getting enough quality time and (ahem) "quality time" with their wives. making sure to find time for my DH does wonders for our relationship in general - sometimes that just means time to hang out together, sometimes it's putting DS down in my bed and sneaking out for sex. it helps that we've got other beds available - a fullsize futon in DH's room, a full size futon in DS's room, and a single daybed in the guestroom/office (yeah, we rent a bigger house than we need). all the mattresses are on the floor.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.