Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can sickness cause supply dip?

Default Can sickness cause supply dip?

I've have a lingering head cold for about a week+ and I also feel like my milk supply is lower than normal. (Breasts are always really soft, pumping at work is producing about 2/3rds the normal output, baby seems to be hungry a LOT more often.) I know certain medications can do that, but I haven't used any meds (just been dealing with the symptoms). Can illness alone cause a supply dip? I'm just wondering if I should assume it's temporary and that my normal supply level will bounce back ... or is there anything special I should do to boost supply. Baby is 5 1/2 months old (exclusively breastfed). He's also been a little nurse monster the past week so I wonder if he's doing a growth spurt as well ... anyway, any insight or suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Default Re: Can sickness cause supply dip?

Illness can definitely cause a supply dip. The energy that goes into making milk is being siphoned off to fight infection!

A sick mom who is home with her baby can simply nurse, nurse, nurse, and trust her baby to maintain her supply at the right level. A mom who is working and pumping may have to take some additional steps to keep her supply where she wants it, which is going to mean pumping more, maybe even after feedings when she is home with her baby. Staying hydrated is also really important when you're sick!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Can sickness cause supply dip?

Thanks Mommal, that was helpful advice. On the days I was home with my baby this week (I work part time), I tried to nurse as often as he was interested -- which is hit or miss, since he's in that super destractible phase! On days at work, I switched to a pump/hand express/pump pattern for my pump sessions -- it took longer, but it helped me to get *almost* my normal output to bring home. Head cold is still lingering (so annoying!) but hopefully we get through without any significant bumps in the nursing.