Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping to get more sleep?

Default Pumping to get more sleep?

What do you guys think about the idea of starting to pump so that my husband can feed the baby once during the night? My LO is 3 and a half months old and I am really starting to feel the sleep deprivation. Her daytime naps are so short I can barely get to sleep by the time she's awake again. I have been EBFing since she was born so I really don't know how to "insert" pumping into my schedule (basically feeding every two hours, one breast at a time).
    Do you think this could be a solution and how to I start?

Default Re: Pumping to get more sleep?

I did that a few times when my little one was about that old. Sometimes you just need to skip a feeding so you can get a little rest!
    I was paranoid about nipple confusion though so we used a syringe instead of a bottle.
    If I had to do it over again I would just at a Calma (by Medela), or Breastflow bottle and do it that way.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Is there still a chance of nipple confusion at this age? My biggest worry was that she wouldn't want to "work" at nursing since the milk flows out of the bottle easier...

Nipple confusion is much less of a concern at this age - sounds like you have established a very solid breastfeeding relationship. I've always read that if you've established breastfeeding then you can start introducing a bottle at 4-6 weeks. In fact if you wait TOO long baby might end up rejecting the bottle altogether!

I really don't think nipple confusion should be an issue at 3 months. Particularly if she's only getting a bottle once a day. It sounds like you are home with her during the day, is that right? Because if you're working and pumping, I'd be a little more careful, because you need the night nursing to keep your supply up if you're away from the baby during the day. If you're home with baby all day, I think pumping for one night feeding is not a big deal.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

my only concern would be how long you're going at night without either pumping or nursing ... the general advice is to pump at the same time your baby is getting a bottle, and of course in your case you wouldn't want to do that. especially if you're feeding on demand all day, probably not a big deal, but i'd be a lot more wary if you're pumping at work, because of the potential hit to your supply.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am at home with her for a year. I had a terrible oversupply problem the first two months, and since I read that pumping only made it worse I suffered through it only hand expressing. This has left me with a bit of fear regarding pumping! But I am just SO sleep-deprived and I feel like I'm going a bit nuts. My husband and I are trying to find a way to let me get a bit more sleep.

I think the pumping could work if it is not too long a stretch (maybe not longer than 5 hours) and that is the only long stretch of the day. Pump after a feeding once a day and start saving up. There mght be simpler ways to get you out of your sleep deprived state though. Mastering the art of co-sleeping and nursing side lying while sleeping has been a HUGE lifesaver for me. Is this something that might work for you? Just another idea. Once I figured this out, sleep deprivation quickly became a distant memory. If not, could you go to bed earlier with your LO? If you are in bed for 12 hours but only sleep for 8, you still get 8 hours of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    I think the pumping could work if it is not too long a stretch (maybe not longer than 5 hours) and that is the only long stretch of the day. Pump after a feeding once a day and start saving up. There mght be simpler ways to get you out of your sleep deprived state though. Mastering the art of co-sleeping and nursing side lying while sleeping has been a HUGE lifesaver for me. Is this something that might work for you? Just another idea. Once I figured this out, sleep deprivation quickly became a distant memory. If not, could you go to bed earlier with your LO? If you are in bed for 12 hours but only sleep for 8, you still get 8 hours of sleep.
    x10000. i absolutely think these options are simpler, easier, less stressful than pumping once a day. ymmv.

also if you contended with "terrible oversupply", it is absolutely possible that pumping again now will throw you back into that. i have a friend who had to give formula when she went out (very rarely) becuase even one pumping session - even after 9 months - kicked her oversupply back into high gear. not to say this will happen to you, just something to be aware of as possible.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My DD wont even take a bottle. So good luck. I ENVY moms whose babies will take bottles.