Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething & Latching issue

Default Teething & Latching issue

Hi ladies
    My DS 3.5 mo started to teething last week with all the drooling sign, sucking fingers or anything he touches. On the weekend his cheek started to be swollen and very fussy. His gum must not be comfortable and no apetite for nursing (keep comes on & off). I havent given him anyth to soothe except teething toy & cold cloth.

Its been 4 days now and though I persistently feeding him as often as I can during day & night (i stay in bed most times and just feed whenever he wants), he sucks a lot but not opening his mouth big enough to latch. I tried so many times and just wont work. Not sure if its because the gum is hurting him. I tried sit down nursing and still not working. Whats left is my boobs are not emptied and always full all time. I tried to express minimally to avoid oversupply and engorgement.

Is this teething and latching issue normal? How long does it take to be normal again and is there any tips to correct his latching?

Thanx so much ladies.

Default Re: Teething & Latching issue

Swollen cheek, huh? I googled and found that it is associated with teething, but it seems out of the ordinary enough tone that I'd see the pediatrician. What if the swelling isn't being caused by teething, but by something else? The reason I'm wondering is that usually the first teeth to break through are the lower front incisors, and they're not near the cheek.

I'd definitely give him some Tylenol and see if things improve.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal!
    Have given baby panadol but not much helP, so off to dr today.
    Also realised DS stopped babbling for 1 wk now and when he made liitle noise it seems so painful!
    Hope to get answers fr dr

Just a quick update, when to the dr and checked up everyth and couldnt find any fault.
    Apparently DS is not teething! Oh well he must have just reached the stage of chewing everyth!
    So health wise he s fine, and hope one day he ll return to babble away again