Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cyclic changes

Default cyclic changes

My DD is 13 months and my period returned after 10 months of BFing. About 2 weeks before I have my period I have severe pelvic pain with any pressure on my abdomen. If DD is nursing and pushes on my abdomen it hurts sooo bad. My will also hurt. Is this from BFing and my cycle returning or could it be something else? When my cycle returned for the first time the dr could not find anything wrong and suggested that I had a uterine infection.. later I knew that wasn't the case because the pain stopped as soon as my period started and did not return until about 1.5 months later when I was about to start again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Default Re: cyclic changes

What you're experiencing could be normal abdominal discomfort associated with the run-up to your period. Bloat, breast tenderness, constipation, cramps- those are all common premenstrual symptoms. But this could also be something else- endometriosis leaps to mind because you experienced increased pain with the return of your cycle.

I'd press the doc for an explanation. What happened after he/she said "you might have a uterine infection"? Did the doc just let you walk out, or was treatment or further diagnostic testing suggested?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I thought I replied to this early...hmm.
    Since it's two weeks before your period I'm thinking it's ovulation pain.
    I feel exactly like that when I ovulate. Tender inside and out, very crampy, bloated feeling. Later I get sore nipples. I am also moody.
    Check out the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" it will help give you a better idea of what is going on with your body.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Also some types of ovarian cysts can cause pain like what you are describing. That suggestion is a shot in the dark -- obviously it could be any of the above (or something entirely different). But I think you should follow your instincts if it doesn't feel "normal" to you and/or you are not satisfied with your doctor's explanation. Perhaps follow up again with your doctor in a few weeks or months, to see if something has become more detectable/diagnosable, or seek a second opinion?

I saw on the other thread you said it lasts for the two weeks...I'd probably be a little concerned and want more of an explanation...has it been happening each month? OR have you just gotten your period back.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby