Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone NOT starting their LO on rice cereal ?

Default Re: Is there anyone NOT starting their LO on rice cereal ?

I spent some time looking this up, and it's actually probably true that the USDA is giving them payment for meals, and that payment is contingent on them providing rice cereal after 7 months. Before 7 months. if the baby is only "developmentally ready" for breastmilk, the USDA will pay the daycare for warming and serving your breastmilk. After 7 months, they must also provide rice cereal and fruit/vegetables. Otherwise, they can't claim a payment for providing a meal. It's clear from the USDA's info that you are still entitled to refuse the rice cereal,. but the daycare may get cranky because they lose the reimbursement.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    I really can't imagine the USDA would require them to feed your LO rice cereal. Gag.
    you must be over-estimating the USDA.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

They do get really snitty about the reimbursement. I had a couple different day cares refuse to take my son after I told them he couldn't eat the food they provided because of his allergies. His current day care didn't used to provide meals, but when they started the food program I had to fight them about my son not participating. When I finally told her I'd have to personally read the ingredients on every item he ate and that she'd have to prepare his food separately from all the others with dedicated dishes and utensils they finally gave in and said I could bring his food. But I had to fill out waivers and bring in a note from the doctor listing his allergies and saying he could only eat food from home.

Point being, it can be a total pain in the ass, but they will usually give in if you push. Notes from the doctor go a long way if you can get one.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    They do get really snitty about the reimbursement.
    See, this is what I don't get. If the parents are providing the baby's food, then the daycare isn't buying the USDA-approved food, so what on earth do they have to be reimbursed for? I can totally understand why they wouldn't want to prepare "special" meals for every kid under their care, but reimbursement implies expense. No expenses should mean no problem! Unless they're being paid some excessive amount for feeding the baby cheap food. In which case, hello, I'm alerting my congressman.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

in our case, DS was/is eating the majority of their USDA-reimbursed meal, so i don't feel bad about them getting/wanting reimbursement for it. but it definitely seems like they are ACTING like they're making profit off it, esp in the rice cereal case.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah, wow. This is seriously starting to sound like a scam!

It's not a scam, necessarily. They are buying cheap food, but not being reimbursed excessive amounts for it (feel free to alert your congressman- MOMS Rising has been churning out petitions for the last couple of years about exactly these issues, but funding keeps getting cut for these programs...keep that in mind when you go vote!). And if they are participating in the program, every child has to participate or they have to account for why to the state. When they get audited (once a year, but they can be inspected at any time), they need to show they are feeding every child the right amounts of x, y, and z. At least in our case that is how it was explained. It's more the government bureaucracy than a scam by the day care.

Plus I think it's just massively easier for them if they can do the same thing with every kid. Exceptions can be made, but it's a pain to have to jump through all the hoops.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Yeah, wow. This is seriously starting to sound like a scam!
    Right?!!! Under a year, my kids ate under a dollar's worth of food per entire day, max. IF they were in the mood to eat. And IF they were being fed only the expensive jarred purees. I don't get how the reimbursement can amount to more than a few dollars per day- and why hassle parents over a couple of bucks? I mean, I get it that daycare providers aren't getting rich from their profession, but still...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was under the impression that my daycare followed the USDA program, but we did BLW and provided all of DS's food until he was almost a year. In fact, I think in the infant room you were required to provide all of your baby's food until you were ready for them to eat a big-kid lunch. I wonder if they can opt out entire age-groups of kids, but still be in the program?

Sorry to the OP, this doesn't help you much, I am just thinking out loud.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I signed the paper so that my DCP could get the money and Looked at her menu and let him eat in where I felt appropriate like when she was making Cornish game hens. But opted out of corn dog, hot dog days, All milk products and any fruits since I prefer he get only organic in both cases. It wasn't a problem while he was there. She suggested that she felt bad when he wanted what they were eating and couldn't have it. Oh Well. She got the money and let me do what I wanted to do. Win win.

Way too lazy for formula