Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone NOT starting their LO on rice cereal ?

Default Re: Is there anyone NOT starting their LO on rice cereal ?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sherice View Post
    I'm not sure if what I'm doing is okay but she's happy, nursing like its going out of style and happily playing with food.
    sounds like exactly what we did! one day around 6 months, maybe a few weeks after, DS looked up from nursing, unlatched, and smacked his lips at the bread in my hand. i figured you can't get a much clearer cue than that!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

DS had rice cereal only because someone gave me a box and we used it mostly to thicken the purees I made for him (DH liked to feed him). DD hasn't had any rice cereal and very little puréed food. At 9 months she's loves to eat what we are eating!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

We don't do rice cereal either. We don't do any purees or spoonfeeding. What you are doing is fine
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

OMG, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Ladies !!!!
    You all have confirmed by beliefs and boosted my confidence ! I feel like a powerful go getter mommy again !!!
    It's so wonderful to have other mommies with the same ideas and beliefs as me.

To reply to manitobamommy, the DC said they "HAVE" to feed her rice cereal or else they won't get paid by the USDA.....what ever happened to the parents rights and decisions ??? I'm standing firm on this one and not letting them make decisions about my child for me.
    Anywho, thank you all again ! This is such a wonderful blessing and wonderful site to go to for support !

God Bless !!!!

I am actually very opposed to feeding babies grains. From the research I have done (and I can post the link to several studies if you are interested) babies don't have the pancreatic amylase to digest any grains until AT LEAST 8 months of age. Add in the fact that ALL rice has arsenic in it and it just seems like a poor first choice. We did avocado first and then banana. Bananas are a great first food because they actually have amylase in them! I think you are very wise to question rice cereal as a first food!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lkuhn View Post
    the DC said they "HAVE" to feed her rice cereal or else they won't get paid by the USDA.....
    At the very least this sounds like a misunderstanding on the DC's part about what they HAVE to do. You might want to check out the requirements yourself- this looks like the site to use: http://www.nutrition.gov/food-assist...-program-cacfp
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    At the very least this sounds like a misunderstanding on the DC's part about what they HAVE to do. You might want to check out the requirements yourself- this looks like the site to use: http://www.nutrition.gov/food-assist...-program-cacfp
    i'm not sure - my DS's daycare said the same thing, about serving him milk at lunch. they said they have to feed a "complete meal" or they don't get the reimbursement. they were willing to do it but not happy about the $; we worked around it by bringing them organic milk which they serve instead of the milk they buy, and we're both happy. all this according to DH.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

We never gave her rice cereal or "baby" food of any kind. We just gave her soft stuff she could "gum" or suck or lick or whatever. They learn the gag reflux quickly when they are allowed to handle their own food. Mind gagged plenty of times but never choked on her food.
    We watched her very very closely though as she was learning.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

We bought rice cereal but our babies didn't like it. It's processed crap, I believe with the main goal of rice cereal is to make the companies lots of money.

Re the daycare. Keep repeating to yourself "I'm the mom, I'm the mom". You are paying them for crying out loud, they need to feed your LO what YOU want not what THEY want.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lkuhn View Post
    OMG, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Ladies !!!!, the DC said they "HAVE" to feed her rice cereal or else they won't get paid by the USDA.....
    This sounds like either a manipulative lie or downright stupidity. I really can't imagine the USDA would require them to feed your LO rice cereal. Gag.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.