Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to fix a lazy suck????

Default how to fix a lazy suck????

This is still going on :'-( My baby just does not want to suck! He screams at the breast waiting for the milk to magically appear, and it is so frustrating!!!! he pulls off screaming!

He is almost 8 weeks old, and he got one bottle on Saturday (the first in weeks), and since then he has been lazy about sucking! He got another bottle yesterday evening and I pumped, which only worsens the problem. I also have problems with inhibited letdown, so when things like this happen, the problem is worsened by magnitudes because his screaming worsens my anxiety which inhibits my letdown!

I also think as a result my very tenuous milk supply is crashing. I just don't know what to do to

1. bring him back to the breast
    2. drop the bottle
    Last edited by @llli*alexx; October 19th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Default Re: how to fix a lazy suck????

ALSO - every time he nurses or drinks expressed milk, he gets this crazy, red, bumpy rash all over his face. (So, the bottle rules out contact dermatitis) - could this also be causing his hesitance to nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexx View Post
    This is still going on :'-( My baby just does not want to suck! He screams at the breast waiting for the milk to magically appear, and it is so frustrating!!!! he pulls off screaming!

He is almost 8 weeks old, and he got one bottle on Saturday (the first in weeks), and since then he has been lazy about sucking! He got another bottle yesterday evening and I pumped, which only worsens the problem. I also have problems with inhibited letdown, so when things like this happen, the problem is worsened by magnitudes because his screaming worsens my anxiety which inhibits my letdown!

I also think as a result my very tenuous milk supply is crashing. I just don't know what to do to

1. bring him back to the breast
    2. drop the bottle

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

Some babies will start to be fussy at the breast after receiving a bottle or even start refusing the breast alltogether. They may start to prefer the fast flow from the bottle. However, some babies will happily switch back from breast to bottle. It's hard to predict. Continuing with a bottle sounds risky given his behavior.

I'm not sure about the bumpy rash? Maybe ask your doctor about that.

There was some good advice re milk supply in the other thread ie. offer the breast lots (at least 10-12 times day, both sides), use breast compressions, consider domperidone if you're not already on it.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-DGS

Not sure what to do about an inhibited letdown. Skin to skin contact will help. Whatever you need to do to calm yourself. Also know that your letdown will get conditioned. It will not always be a must that you are relaxed for it to work.

Kellymom has some good ideas on that...

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/letdown/
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Yeah, he hasnt gotten many bottles... maybe 3 in the last 3 weeks?