Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I tell my LO is satisfied after a feed?

Default Re: How can I tell my LO is satisfied after a feed?

Baby lost 10% of her body weight due to bad latch/poor drinking by day 2 (48hrs after birth) She regained her birth weight by wk two. I just had her weighed on Tues at the drs. and she gained 11 oz since last monday. She was weighed with a diff scale though at the lactation consultants office however. I'm still worried though. I know by looked at her weight gain she is doing well but she feeds for so long (an 1hr or so) that I'm just concerned. I no longer wake her either because it now seems she's feeding every three hrs. Will she start to eat faster at all?

Yes, your baby will eventually become a much more efficient, faster feeder. It's very common for newborns to take a long time to nurse. They're sleepy, they're relatively weak and uncoordinated, and they are trying to master a brand-new skill. But by the time most babies are a few months old, they're able to nurse in a much shorter time, often as little as 5-10 minutes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is she only 3 weeks old?

Way too lazy for formula

I keep trying to reply but the post isn't posting. She's put on 11oz as of Tues (8 days). So ok, I know this is good. Buuuutttt, lately she has been cluster feeding all over the place in the middle of the night/early morning! Last night she started to eat at 11pm and by 2am I was at my wits end (previous night I was up for the day at 3am). She just wanted to sit and nipple/ suck on my boob. No drinking, and when I would take her off she would freak! This is after hours of pulling off and fussing. My poor nipple(s) are bruised. My husband suggested we consider a pacifier. I'm not so sure of this since she's only 3 wks old and I believe we are still working on this whole bfing thing. Any thoughts??

Sorry, my post finally posted! Yes, she was three weeks on Wednesday.

Bruised isn't good! In general, I'd strongly advocate staying away from the pacifier, particularly during growth spurts (and at 3 weeks, you're probably in one), and particularly if breastfeeding isn't going smoothly yet, but if you feel like the baby is ONLY comfort-sucking and not actually eating AND it's the middle of the night AND you're sore... I think I might consider a paci, as long as it was used in a very limited fashion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wouldn't introduce a paci this early. AND I wouldn't freak out when she marathon feeds at night. It is par for the course during a growth spurt. Which you are probably in. I would however perhaps try letting her suck on your finger after you have flipped her TWICE. I don't know that it will work. Because when they are spurting they really do have such a STRONG instinctual desire to stay attached to us. It wouldn't have worked for me at 3 weeks. I was literally taking a 2 hour nap after dinner at that point so that I was prepared to stay up from 12midnight till 5am. Because that was when and how long he wanted to stay away then. But at 5 weeks, he WOULD take my finger for the extra sucking he wanted to do. Hang in there. This too shall pass. But I wouldn't worry too much about satisfaction. It is very very normal for a child that is growing very dramatically in a short period of time to want to nurse nonstop. That process really does take constant fuel.

Way too lazy for formula