Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to make this work...

Default Trying to make this work...

Hello mamas! There's a long back-story to this but I'll try to keep it short - DD started a weird thing at about 3 months where she would only nurse while asleep. I went back to work shortly thereafter so at this piont she's used to bottles during the day. Since then (she's 7 months old now), I've been able to successfully "dreamfeed" her generally twice during the night. The rest of the time it's mostly pumping and bottles. As she and her schedule changes (she's a good sleeper and I'm starting to think some of the dreamfeeds are intefering with her sleep), this morning I decided to skip my 6:30am pump and see if she'd nurse after she woke up in the morning.

She latched on just great and it would have been a good feeding but of course at this age babies are distractable and DS (3 years) was the distraction. I know the recommendation to nurse distractable babies would be to nurse in a dark, quiet boring place. Well, I've got about 90 minutes in the morning to get both kids up, dressed, fed, etc. (and all the chaos that goes along with that). I can't just shoo DS out of the room so I can nurse DD - I see him so little as it is with my work schedule. DD usually wakes up after DS but I don't want to wake DD up before DS so I can nurse her in peace. DH is usually still asleep or in the shower at this time so I don't have an extra pair of hands. I suppose I could try again on a weekend when we don't have anywhere to go and have more flexibility with our schedule.

How can I make this work? I'm just tired today and maybe that's why I'm feeling hopeless but I've tried so hard for the last 4 months to preserve what little nursing relationship we have and I'm trying to keep it going.

FWIW - she's gaining great, great diapers, and into very few solids. We don't co-sleep (it just doesn't work for us). My goal here is to try and and get her used to at least one nursing session during the day (like, upon waking) since it is starting to appear as though she doesn't need or want dreamfeeds. If I can keep her nursing, even just once a day....

Thanks! Sorry so long.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Trying to make this work...

Are her bottles pumped milk or formula? What you are describing is a nursing strike. And babies can be successfully nursed through them. Are you still making all her milk?

Way too lazy for formula

Totally hear you on the distractable baby front. My LO is 7 mo and has a 2 1/2 yo sister and a 5 yo brother and it's difficult to nurse her when they are around. Honestly I think the best solution is to get DH involved. If he's asleep, can't he wake up a little earlier to keep DS busy while you're nursing? Or have him come into the shower with him? (My kids love to shower with us). Like you say, it's really hard to shoo DS out of the room and I'm sure it's also hard from him to sit quietly next to you or near you while you're nursing the baby.

Also,I thought you had determined that your baby WOULD nurse while awake in a sling?

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks, all!

djs.mom - Yes - she only gets my milk and that is my intention until she is at least 1 year old. I pump enough for her and freeze the extra. With the rates I am freezing, I'll be able to stop pumping when she's about 10 months old (if she's not nursing at all) and she'll have enough to get to 12 months. If she is still nursing as we approach that time - great! My supply is good and I'll maintain it for as long as she's willing to nurse. As for the sling - I did have luck with dreamfeeding her in a sling when she was much younger - now that she's older she generally just naps in her crib, so the sling isn't much of an option now for nursing.

bfwmomof3 - it is so hard to manage it all with such little ones!

Usually our routine is to get us all downstairs then I get DS set up with a 15-minute show on PBS while I get my head on straight I may be able to nurse DD in the kitchen while he is doing that. This morning she was just particularly hungry which is why I offered the breast while we were still upstairs in the bedrooms. I may also try a nursing necklace. I've just got to remind myself that one difficult morning doesn't mean it won't work if I try again the future. I'm stubborn and usually of the "where there's a will there's a way" mentality but was just feeling defeated this morning. I'll keep trying...and utilizing these boards!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

You'll get there!