Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost there...

Question Almost there...

We have about 3 months to go and we will have made it one year. I'm planning on starting to wean her around that time, but I'm unsure of how she will take to it. I'm starting to think that maybe I will push to have her weaned at 1 1/2 or 2 but I'm not sure how to deal with everyone around me and their opinions. I am the type of person who likes to go with the crowd and around me breastfeeding once her teeth starting coming in was one of the 'usual ends'. Nobody around me agrees or approves of breastfeeding into toddler years. (I'm not here to start any arguements or upset anyone just looking for ways to handle it) But I have no intention of saying 'oops you're one now, no more nursing' maybe if I could do that without upsetting her I would, but I know that she wouldn't understand so it is NOT an option. I've been advised to start weaning now so shes ready at her 1st bday, but I don't want to pump, I'm NOT adding formula, and I won't risk her not getting enough of what she needs. So I will continue to play with baby foods and EBF (baby led solids terrify me, thanks anyway)

So any advise on how to deal with pig headed, 'always right' family members who don't agree with extended breastfeeding would be nice. My husband, mom, in-laws, I think my sister too, haven't really talked to her yet. they all think I should be done at one year with a very short weaning time.......

Fussy baby gotta go now.. Thanks everyone!!!!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Almost there...

Do you know why they don't agree? Sometimes education goes a long way. Get the facts lined up and the support of organizations like the AAP and the WHO. Explain your decision to do what's best for your baby. If they still refuse to understand, then don't discuss it anymore. Project confidence in your decision and remain firm about changing the subject when the topic comes up. Otherwise, if you continuously debate it, they'll think they may be able to change you're mind.
    I'd definitely have a long talk with dh if he's not supporting this decision either. Again does he just not know the benefits of extended bfing? Does he 'want his wife back' and figure weaning will accomplish that? There's a lot of flexability to nursing a toddler. Is he afraid it will continue to be the nonstop nursing of an infant?

To add to PP, my DH & I told family our pediatrician strong recommended to continue BF our LO per the world health organization guidelines & ended it there. Haven't heard any problems from anyone in the family since. But whenever they are around, if I know they are not comfortable (different people are at different comfort levels of nursing toddlers), I will leave the room to nurse so as not to fuel fires. I know I won't change their mind & if they are so anti-BF of a toddler, I generally need a break from them too to feed my child.

Like you, I originally planned to wean at a year, as did my DH, but we both realized that nursing is too important to our LO- she is NOT ready to wean. And so we adjusted to her needs, set some limits to make it work better for all of us, & we are still nursing at 2yr. That said, if you really want to wean, I recommend the suggestions in the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book (there is a whole chapter on it). It has lots of ideas of how to wean in a way that is sensitive to the needs of your child as it sounds like is an important approach for you.

Kudos for nursing this long already. What a lucky baby you have! Good luck :-)

Why do you have to talk about it? Why can't you just say "we are working on it?" When it comes up?

Way too lazy for formula

I do sometimes give a simple response that doesn't invite more conversation. Right now I don't get as many questions or comments about our nursing relationship. I just don't know how I will feel when she turns one and the "normal switch from FF bottles to cups of milk" is expected. I guess I'm worried about getting funny looks and hearing snotty comments. I hope we will be able to deal with it in a way that won't offend any of us and we can all be happy, most especially my baby.

Thank you everyone for being there to talk to
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

I hadn't planned on weaning at 1, but thought it would be a miracle to make it to 1 at all and expected that I'd be ready to stop. Now that DD is 1, I am not even close to stopping!! I haven't even felt comfortable cutting back on pumping yet (starting that this week, fingers crossed). I have to say that now that we've made it this far, I feel more confident and sure about BFing and parenting in general than I have about anything in my life, so that lends itself to having some thick skin about the comments. You'll feel better if you follow your instincts rather than worrying about other people's comments. Do what you feel is right!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?