Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby eating too much out of bottle?

Default Baby eating too much out of bottle?

I have a question. Since we don't know how much baby actually eats, how much do I allow her to eat out of the bottle? Should I let her eat until she is finished? Or should I stop her at like 3 oz? She is 7 weeks old and primarily is breastfed. Please help as she will be going to daycare soon. Thanks!

Default Re: Baby eating too much out of bottle?

The rule of thumb is that a baby needs about 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom. Are you currently using the bottle just to try it out, to get baby used to it? If so, I wouldn't give more than an ounce or two of milk, since your goal is to get baby to take a bottle, not to cut down on breastfeeding. If you're bottle-feeding for some other reason, let us know- maybe we can help fix any problems!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 ounces for each hour apart. So, for example, if you have your last nursing session at 8, then if she shows signs of hunger at 10 let's say, she should be ready for 2-3 oz. Start off on the lower end, for example, give the daycare 2 or 2.5 oz bottles, and tell them if she drinks that and still does not seem satisfied, then give another half an ounce, see whether she is still hungry, then give another half ounce (this is called paced feeding). If the daycare is not very familiar with breastfed babies, be very explicit with them, as formula-fed babies tend to have more at once but spaced farther apart; for breastfed babies it's smaller amounts spaced closer together. If they give her a big bottle she may well drink the whole thing whether she's hungry for that much or not.

Thank you for your responses. @ mommal I actually am feeding her today with expressed milk in the bottle because I decided to have a starbucks coffee and 1 beer. I warmed her up a bottle and she thought she had too much to drink and don't want her to over feed. But I did need to find out because she will be starting daycare in a couple of weeks! =( I am not happy about that so bfwmomof3 thank you for that.

I do have another question, I have researched on how long to have to wait after drinking caffeine/alcohol and it says to wait 2-3 hours to feed is this true?

Also after I warm up breastmilk from the refrigerator how long is it good for? Can I put any back before a certain amount of time?

You can have coffee and beer when breastfeeding. Studies show that a mom would have to drink the equivalent of 5 cups of coffee a day for the caffeine to affect baby. One beer or glass of wine a few times a week is also fine. For alcohol the recommendation is to wait a couple of hours after drinking a glass of wine or a beer to nurse just to be safe. But this is not needed for a cup of coffee. It sounds as if you already know this but pumping and dumping is NOT needed. Once the alcohol is out of your blood stream it is out of your milk as well.

this doc has excellent info on safe milk handling and also on how to feed a breastfed baby a bottle without overfeeding
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

this will answer your ? I think, this is from above linked doc.

Thawing your milk
    • Thaw frozen milk in refrigerator or a bowl of warm water or under
    warm faucet.
    • Don’t heat the milk directly on the stove, don’t use a microwave.
    • Some babies are happy to drink cold milk.
    • Thawed can be refrigerated for up to twenty-four hours. Then use,
    refreeze, or discard.

If baby has drunk from the bottle and there are leftovers IN THE BOTTLE BABY DRUNK FROM, then it is ok to save the bottle in the fridge until the next feeding-so, for several hours, but probably not beyond that just due to the possible contamination/bacteria growth risk due to saliva in the milk/on bottle.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 27th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    You can have coffee and beer when breastfeeding.
    There is absolutely no reason to abstain from breastfeeding when having a cup of coffee! And beer... Well, a lot of moms will drink a small amount while breastfeeding, not even waiting the recommended couple of hours "just to be safe".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The transition to daycare is hard, especially after you have been so much together with the baby during the early weeks. But in some ways I feel like thinking about it is almost harder than the transition itself. Babies that young are very adaptable and once you see them in daycare doing fine, it makes you feel a lot better about it (though does not necessarily take away from that intense longing to be with baby). Anyway, I think it's a lot harder on mama than it is on baby!

Sorry my reply is soooo late! I really do appreciate everyone response. She starts daycare on Monday, I actually changed daycares because I just wasn't comfortable leaving her where my son went and that is why I was having a hard time wanting to return back to work. I feel very comfortable now and am ready to go back to work. This website has really helped me out through this journey. Idk what I would've done without you ladies :-)

Glad to hear you found a good situation for your LO!