Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my thrush ever go away?

Default Will my thrush ever go away?

Ive had thrush on and off for about three weeks. I was on 100mg diflucan, cream with nystatin, and baby on nyatatin. Diflucan finishes a few days ago and last nite DD kept pulling off then sucking in nipple really hard causing me to cry out. Now both nipples are really red and very painful during and inbetween feeds. I called my doctor for more diflucan but prolly wont hear back untill Monday. Im wondering if its normal for thrush to do this? It was getting better with barely any pain if any at all. It seems at night she gets really fussy towards end of meal. Het clicking during eating has also gotten worst. Clicking didnt hurt too much before but now it does.

Default Re: Will my thrush ever go away?

Did baby's thrush go away? Otherwise she can pass it back to you. Also, don't know if you're pumping, using bottles, or pacifiers, but my doctor advised me to stay vigilant about sterilizing everything (boiling for 10 minutes is fine) until both baby and I were thrush-free, because again, the yeast can linger on the pump parts/bottles/pacis etc, baby drinks out of the bottle, gets more of the yeast in her mouth, gives it to you, etc.

Also, my pediatrician told me that it can be tricky to eradicate baby's thrush with nystatin. If I remember correctly he gave her diflucan too. Might want to ask your pediatrician about that if baby's thrush is not going away.

The only symptoms baby has is the clicking and fussiness towards end of meal. None in her diaper or mouth. I just wanna have pain free BF and not dread feedings.

Hmm. I guess it's still possible baby has given it back to you between the time you finished the diflucan a couple days ago and now, and that's why you're having pain, but I'm not sure that would explain the clicking and fussiness. Other mamas will probably have more ideas. I hear you on wanting pain-free BF. Never hurts to see a lactation consultant.