Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby overeating?

Default Baby overeating?

My DD seems to spit up alot, sometimes right after eating. I nurse on demand which can sometimes be every hour and a half to every three hours. I have a heavy let down and sometimes she coughs from it. Can the spitting up and seemingly tummy upset be from over eating? Tonight she spit up a minute after eating and was acting like she was still hungry. Her belly was also full feeling. She is not constipated. She does get the hiccups alot as well. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Baby overeating?

Breastfed babies rarely over eat. Babies so young are growing very fast and their digestive systems are still immature. This can cause some issues such as puking and reflux. Fast/forceful letdown can make this more challenging. Some moms find that it helps baby if you lay down and nurse reclined with baby on top so that the flow isn't so fast. Keep baby upright after eating and avoid pressure on the stomach (such as the position in an upright carseat, etc). I would not be concerned about over feeding her. Follow her cues.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Throwing up, unless it's projectile vomit is a laundry problem. Nothing else. Especially in the early months when their digestive tract is not mature.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Throwing up, unless it's projectile vomit is a laundry problem. Nothing else. Especially in the early months when their digestive tract is not mature.
    I just want to say thank you for writing these exact words! My DD was spitting up a lot her first 6-8 weeks of life. I kept mentioning it to her pediatrician who finally just told me I have a laundry problem. At first I thought she was just blowing me off. .

I had this same thing happen, like I mentioned above. I also had overacti be letdown and over supply. DD is now ten weeks old and she rarely spits up!! I think it probably does have to so with the forceful letdown and the baby's position after feeding. Hang there-it's annoying and can make you so worried. Then you'll realize it was worry for nothing.
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

All totally normal. As long as she's not in pain when she spits up and the spit-up isn't projectile (literally flying across the room and hitting the opposite wall), then it's a laundry issue, not a health issue.

Fast letdowns and oversupply can lead to baby taking in very full meals every time she eats. And this can make moms concerned about overeating and make them feel like they have to DO something to fix the "problem". But this isn't an issue that responds well to any management aside from time and baby learning to control her intake better. The only things you need to do are to lay in some extra bibs and onesies, make sure to clean out the folds of baby's neck chub (spit-up can get caught in there and fester), continue to feed on demand, and wait for baby to outgrow it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok thank you all. I didnt think she was but my inlaws did so i had to ask.