Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing idiosyncrasies

Default Nursing idiosyncrasies

Thanks in large part to the advice I've gotten on these forums, I'm at the point with my ten week old where her bizarre, exasperating, so not-textbook nursing habits are something I try to laugh at rather than analyze and worry about. She does seem to have significant reflux, which is not funny, but I'm not even sure anymore that the fussy/weird feeding behaviors are all due to that. I thought it would be fun, therapeutic, and possibly educational to hear from more experienced mothers the sorts of things your babies did/do while nursing that baffle you.

Here's our typical feeding lately. Baby shows signs of hunger. I play with her a few minutes as I've learned she needs to be HUNGRY to feed well, without falling asleep or just losing interest two minutes in... I change her diaper (it's ALWAYS wet--thanks oversupply!) and we get settled. I have to lean back because of OALD but she seems comfy enough that way and doesn't freak out about it anymore. Usually it starts off pretty calm. Like clockwork, five minutes in, she pulls off looking alert. I put her on my chest and pat until I get a burp. Sometimes this brings on a crying fit, but not always. She will then start bobbing around and acting restless so I'll try to put her back on, but her arms start flailing and she starts crying almost immediately. No, she's not done. As soon as I stand up and start to walk around, she'll latch and go another 2-5 minutes. At the end of this period she NEVER has that beautiful milk drunk face that clearly says, "I'm done!" She is restless and more or less fussy, while refusing to take the breast again in any position, even after a good burp. I give up and put her in the Moby wrap where she enjoys trying to slam her head against my chest for a few minutes before falling asleep. And she's fine one way or another until the next feeding, as long as its within two hours!*

I don't think I'm ever going to get this baby to space out her feedings and take a little more each time on a regular basis...but again, I want to start this thread to help me go with the flow and laugh rather than complain. Your turn?

Default Re: Nursing idiosyncrasies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tejana View Post
    I don't think I'm ever going to get this baby to space out her feedings and take a little more each time on a regular basis...but again, I want to start this thread to help me go with the flow and laugh rather than complain. Your turn?
    yes, you will! and at 10 weeks, likely sooner than later!

i haven't followed the rest of your story, but this pattern actually sounds pretty normal to me ... no less frustrating for that of course!

and i'll edit to add my DS's craziness: he pretty much does gymnastics all the time, but around 9 months his FAVORITE nursing position was with me on my back, he'd rotate over and fling 1 leg over my head so his butt was directly on my face, then reach his hands down under his body to grapple my neck. [sarcasm] awesome [/sarcasm]. he still tries to get away with this, even last night at 16 months.
    Last edited by @llli*auderey; October 26th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Let's see... My two girls have, between them, done all of the following:

Trying to suck on hands while nursing
    Pulling off the breast while nursing, allowing milk to go spraying everywhere
    Clamping down
    Head shaking
    Humming/singing
    Twiddling
    Scratching
    Kneading
    Never slept through the night until age 2
    Never went more than 1-2 hours without feeding during the day, until 6 months
    never went more than 2-3 hours without feeding during the day, until 2 years
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My big guy wanted to have a picnic last night so we ate outside. Little guy got fussy and pretty clearly hungry, so I tried to nurse him. He kept popping on and off. Two little sucks to get latched right, one (only one!) bigger suck for some milk, then pull back and check the scenery. He kept it up for 15 minutes or so and didn't really get down to business until we got inside and on the couch.

Thanks for starting the thread. It's good to laugh at ourselves (and our crazy babies)

Yesterday I was nursing my three month old while chatting to other mommies while our kindergarten kids played. I was so engrossed in my conversation I did not realize that I kept trying to get her latched and she was not settling in. I looked down and realized she was looking right at me and "talking" while I kept trying to get her to latch. She wanted to join the conversation! After I talked with her for a bit, she settled in and started to nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    yes, you will! and at 10 weeks, likely sooner than later!

i haven't followed the rest of your story, but this pattern actually sounds pretty normal to me ... no less frustrating for that of course!

and i'll edit to add my DS's craziness: he pretty much does gymnastics all the time, but around 9 months his FAVORITE nursing position was with me on my back, he'd rotate over and fling 1 leg over my head so his butt was directly on my face, then reach his hands down under his body to grapple my neck. [sarcasm] awesome [/sarcasm]. he still tries to get away with this, even last night at 16 months.
    Heh, thanks for the reassurance, and wow, I can hardly visualize what you are describing! I have a feeling my LO is going to be a distractible gymnast--already showing signs of both now. As long as she's happy and not screaming during/after most feedings when that day comes, I will be happy!

Mommal, humming/singing is hilarious. Spraying everywhere is a daily occurrence for us and the #1 reason why nursing in public is a bit of a nightmare right now. I've been scratched and hit quite a bit lately too---what is it with baby fingernails?? Why do they need to come out so sharp?, I can't keep up with them and no matter how recently they've been clipped and filed, if she chooses to dig them into my skin they still are deadly...

Lehall, how old is your son? I've heard about them getting distractible but that is something else, hah.

Meg, that is so sweet. The past couple days mine has been "talking" so much and for the first time Ive found I can calm her down by going over to her and just making eye contact and chatting. Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tejana View Post
    Spraying everywhere is a daily occurrence for us and the #1 reason why nursing in public is a bit of a nightmare right now.
    If it makes you feel better, you're not alone in having difficulty nursing in public. I still remember my second daughter pulling off the breast and milk fountaining everywhere, just as our rabbi- an elderly man from the deep south- walked by! Luckily, he didn't give a tinker's cuss about it, and just said "Nice day to be out, isn't it!" as he passed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

little guy was 3 months yesterday