Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing a paci for airplane flight?

Default Introducing a paci for airplane flight?

We're heading on vacation next week and will have 4 flights total. My daughter is 4 months old and an extremely distractible nurser...plus, not a big comfort nurser right now. She's never had a pacifier (or bottle, for that matter), but I was considering offering her one during the flight, if necessary (and if she won't nurse). I'm thinking mostly about ascent and descent and ear discomfort. I know sucking helps, but if she's too distracted or isn't hungry, she won't nurse. Do you think it's pretty safe to offer a paci at 4 months? I don't want anything messing up her latch/nursing. I wouldn't offer it any other time except to help her on the plane...

Thanks!

Default Re: Introducing a paci for airplane flight?

I don't think it would cause a problem, but it might be really likely that she won't take it at all if she hasn't had a bottle or pacifier in her first 4 months. If she won't take it, at least you will have only spent a few bucks.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

WSS. Can't hurt to try, but don't expect a surefire success.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! I'll pick one up and have it in case she's interested. Who knows - maybe she'll be fine and won't need to suck on the plane.

Is there a brand/style of paci that's best for breastfed babies? The orthodontic ones aren't good, right, since their shape is so different from a nipple?