Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: day 2 of 5 mo with a cold-what is going on with my supply??

Default day 2 of 5 mo with a cold-what is going on with my supply??

My LO came down with a cold with a fever overnight on Wednesday night. On Thursday (yesterday) she nursed what seemed like constantly. (Which I am thrilled and relieved with.)

Last night she slept fairly well, was up once fussing for about an hour but slept and woke barely just to nurse once or twice other than that. This morning, she's again nursing quite a lot although she's napping now.

This morning my breasts felt extremely full upon waking, very heavy and even lumpy if that makes sense. And I was leaking milk last night and early this morning (which I thought I had stopped doing). She nursed for a good 40 minutes as she went down for this nap, seemed to do a lot of good swallowing but I'm sure much of this nursing over the past 36 hours has been for comfort. Anyway, after she fell asleep just now and I was still uncomfortable so I pumped and got 6 oz!! This is about 2 oz more than I normally even get when I pump to replace a feeding at work.

I'm not concerned but I'm wondering what is going on. Did all that nursing yesterday give my supply such a boost that I'm making a ton of milk today? Is that possible? Or is it more likely that having a cold has made her do a lot of comfort sucking without a lot of actual drinking? And now I'm engorged because that milk hasn't been removed from my breasts as it usually would?

Default Re: day 2 of 5 mo with a cold-what is going on with my suppl

Hard to say. With most babies I'd suspect the latter- that she just didn't nurse much and that's why you're feeling extra full. But you might also have a very responsive supply, which your baby sent into overdrive.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My first thought was sounds like all the nursing she has been doing did increase your supply, in which case you would want to be careful about not over-pumping, but as I thought about it more, the fact that she didn't wake up much last night could also explain your fullness this morning. I think you have to see how the rest of the day goes.
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; October 26th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks. I meant to add that her outputs have been normal if not exemplary.