Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful Nipples @ 5mo

Default Painful Nipples @ 5mo

Recently my nipples have started being painful when nursing. My baby is 5 mo old old and we haven't had any problems to speak of until now. He still seems to eat well, but it hurts so bad when he latches on and when i first start pumping. The pain subsides after a minute or so. On one side the whole breast is tender to the touch. On the other side I think I might have a milk blister. I am so confused and not sure what to do. I pump 4x a day during the workweek and nurse the rest of the time. I read something on one of the LLL articles about altered sucking patterns when teething and that just made me have more questions. Appreciate the help!

Default Re: Painful Nipples @ 5mo

Can you describe the pain? Is it like a bruised ache or an itchy burning sensation? Is it only when latching one/pumping? Does it happen when you leak (if you still leak) or when you first get wet in the shower?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I guess I would describe it as a bruised ache feeling, and the intense pain is only when latching on or starting pumping. There is no pain when they leak.

Okay, I thought it might be thrush, but what you are describing doesn't sound like it.

Does it look like he's latching differently? Are his teeth scraping your nipple (this is usually more of a during-nursing problem)?

I'm leaning toward thinking it's not a latch issue since it's happening when you pump. It sounds like maybe a pain at let-down? Does that fit what you're seeing when you pump? Does the pain start immediately or only when milk starts to flow?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous