Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do any blw babies develop any eating problems at all?

Default Re: Do any blw babies develop any eating problems at all?

We did BLW and my son is super picky and his tastes change constantly. A food he consistantly ate from day one might flung on the floor tonight. We never know with him. This fits with his personality in general, though. He is all over the place, and stubborn (or maybe that is just him being a toddler ).
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    this is why i really dislike the current movement toward kids trading in their halloween candy the next day. i suppose if they're old enough to understand the trade they're making, it's ok, but i just remember my childhood friends whose mom flushed all their candy 24 hours after trick or treating. and so they gorged for those 24 hours. i don't get how that's a healthy attitude toward food.

and also, djs.mom, why is it bad for a kid to eat only apples? my kid - 16 months - goes through crazy phases where for 3 weeks he wants only bananas, then overnight switches to only grapes. ( the bananas phase was a lot cheaper ...)
    My kid gets to kweep one piece of every different kind of candy and I buy all repeats for a a dime a piece. And then that candy goes on a shelf and he can chose it for his dessert or choose something from the freezer. That candy usually lasts him until January.
    And there is nothing wrong with apples! My kid eats apples pretty much everyday. But if he tried to act like that was ALL he was going to eat, I'd take away the choice. Because I can respect having choices and he does but he is going to eat a balanced nutritious diet. If any ONE FOOD becomes an obsessive thing or the ONLY thing he will eat, it comes out of the equation. Because we are animals. We are hard wired to survive. He is going to eat. And I am not going to allow him to fill up on any thing in majority that is not going to make for a well rounded diet.

Way too lazy for formula

So djs.mom, I have caught your take/approach somewhat a few threads ago, but I would like to know more. What did you do when you just started out at 6 months? And anyone else?

We are just starting.. I mean, learning tastes and textures. Like playing with steamed carrots, taste of sweet potato, and tastes of avocado.

And playing with a sippy. I read in WAB it's ok to offer a little water with a "meal" but I've also heard it wasn't a great idea. I am probably just paranoid but I *feel* like my baby never nurses and doesn't really nurse as much as he used to. And I wondering how much he's really getting, although his output has been fine. I guess, I'm facing weird feelings I never considered before. Like, Sorta sad about starting the weaning process...
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

The 1st food that we tried were Banana and Avacado. He wouldn't put either thing in his mouth so both times we put solids away for a week and tried again in a week. The 1st food that he put in his own mouth and then put back in his mouth was watermelon. And from the 1st time we had tried to when we go there there was about a month lapse of time.
    And we did one thing at a time for about 2months. So it was watermelon, and then sweet potato fries, then bread to teethe. Like Sourdough ends and toasted crusts. At 8 months he would go in his high chair every morning and play with Cheerios for about a half an hour. The grabbing and eating was so interesting to him. So that worked his dexterity and he got to play with food. Also by months Apple wedges were complete favorite food. Because a wedge would keep him busty for hours and there was no mess. He could have on the couch or where ever. So by 9 months old with all the 3 day isolations we had a pretty major arsenal. I never cooked or or peeled anything. I mean I cooked things when we got there but for the 1st few months it was mostly whole raw fruits and veggies. And Raw food still makes up about 70% of his diet. We introduced Pinto Beans inthe 9th month. And Tortilla and Cheese and Shredded chicken in the 10th. And ground turkey. I didn't feed him any pork or beef until after his 1st b-day. And avoided anything that had salt in it until then because their livers can't process salt before then. By the time he was 10 months old He was eating 3 meals a day. And his meal always had at least 5 different kinds of food. So that there was plenty of variety and choices. I did that figuring that even if he did reject stuff and he was still eating at least 2 healthy things at each meal we were doing OK. But "meal' were served to him at that age on a plate from a cup and saucer set. So a very small plate. Very small quantities. But he was involved in the ritual of mealtimes and he was trying all different kinds of foods and right around 10 months is where he really started to figure out that he "tasted" with his tongue.
    By 1 year he was eating 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. The quantities were still small but he was definitely eating.
    And through his preschool years me and the other mothers here who were really about staying on top of nutrition made a point of keeping each other inspired in the meal threads. There were "What's For:" threads for all meals of the day including snacks. And there we got ideas and anyone who ever tried to act like it couldn't be done could come down and see that it in fact can be. You can really feed your kid nothing but healthy food for years. I didn't give him any juice until after his 2nd birthday and no refined sugar except for B-day cake until after his 3rd B-day. We didn't even take him Trick or Treating until he turned four.
    And Now, At 6.5 he definitely does eat sugar and has treats and stuff. For sure. But All his Produces is organic. And anything he eats that comes out of a package we label read and we don't buy it unless we can identify all the ingredients as food. Like we have chips at our house right now. The ingredients on the bag are :Potatoes, olive oil, Salt. So We are mindful of that and anything like that is in ADDITION to 3-4 fruits a day, 1-2 veggies, 1-2 proteins and 1 grain a day.

Way too lazy for formula