Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any blw babies develop any eating problems at all?

Default Do any blw babies develop any eating problems at all?

I have started blw with my 7 month old, and I'm well aware of all the benefits it brings. I'm just curious, are there any of you whose blw babies develop eating problems (picky eaters, etc)?
    I'm the ONLY person who practises blw in my community. In fact I don't know anyone who is doing the same in the entire country. People look at me as if I am abusing my lo by exclusively nursing, not feeding him cereal, not bottle feeding him formula, and wanting to wean only as and when mutually desirable for me and baby. I get the 'you are STILL nursing him??' question a lot. Damn right of course I am! He's just 7 months! What were you thinking? I know I don't have to defend myself for doing what I feel is right. But they still get to me sometimes.
    It's ironic that it's always people who have kids with eating problems who give me nutrition advice. So ladies out there who did blw -- your babies all turn out to be great eaters right?

Default Re: Do any blw babies develop any eating problems at all?

I have two kids. I introduced solids in the exact same way. Following BLW and waiting for readiness. My son took to it at 6 months and never looked back. He ate everything and anything. But then around age 3 started that typical picky phase. He is just coming out of it now at age 5-6. He wasn't really picky, but didn't eat all the things he ate at age 1. My daughter also started solids around 6-7 months. She took to them slowly. She mostly survived on breastmilk for the first 2 years of her life. We offered at every meal. She wasn't ready. She's 4 now and is a really adventurous eater! So I firmly believe that there is no long-term OR short-term negative effects of BLW. I learned to follow my children's individual needs regarding food instead of force feeding them with a spoon because they "should" be eating.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

OH HAI Lyn!! Nice to c you!

Way too lazy for formula

Lyn

Oh Wait. MINE DID. I have a super frala cajalistic GOOD EATER. I mean that has more to do with me and staying on top of it. He'd eat crap if I let him. If there were Ritz or Goldfish here please believe he's eat them. But there's not and he doesn't not eat because of it. I make sure he is eating 3-5 servings of fruit and 1-2 servings of veggies everyday. Regardless of what else he eats. I try to feed him Blueberries every day. And rice or barley 1-3 times a week. (It used to be everyday until he started grade school since there is no where to heat up his food there.) He eats Broccoli and spinach and Kale chip and fish. And Sushi and tofu. And Seaweed. He thinks he is VERY VERY Picky because when he doesn't want Chard or tomatoes we let him eat raw carrots or cucumbers instead.

Way too lazy for formula

I feel like the underlying key to BLW success is being an example to your child and letting your child know that they can trust that you have their best interest at heart. We talk about WHY we make the food choices we make and help them make good decisions for themselves. But like Shelly said, have the healthy foods available and don't fall into the trap of letting them eat crap because its all they will eat. That said, we have treats in our house on occasion. We don't ban all of that in our house, but we are trying to teach them healthy foods choices AND a healthy relationship with food.
    Lyn

Ice cream that you make from scratch IS good for you! True Story.

Way too lazy for formula

LOL. When Lucy lost weight after H1N1 we made avocado ice cream. It actually was good for us!
    Lyn

I'm a huge proponent of BLW, but it isn't a guarantee against issues with eating. Some babies are just picky eaters, love their milk, and take a long time to eat solids. And remain picky, no matter how hard you try to offer a variety of foods. Other kids are more adventurous from the get-go. Some kids go through phases of picky-ness but grow out of them. Baby led solids are awesome, and I highly recommend this approach! Exposing your child to lots of different tastes and textures is a great thing. But it isn't going to change your child's basic personality.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I'm a huge proponent of BLW, but it isn't a guarantee against issues with eating. Some babies are just picky eaters, love their milk, and take a long time to eat solids. And remain picky, no matter how hard you try to offer a variety of foods. Other kids are more adventurous from the get-go. Some kids go through phases of picky-ness but grow out of them. Baby led solids are awesome, and I highly recommend this approach! Exposing your child to lots of different tastes and textures is a great thing. But it isn't going to change your child's basic personality.
    Yeah dude. But Remaining firm and consistent about NOT falling into food ruts where you allow your child to only eat pasta and cheese because you continually put those choices in front of them exacerbates the behavior. (Of being a well rounded eater) If my kid ever tried to act like he was only going to eat cheese and pasta, I would stop serving him cheese and pasta. If he is hungry and wants to be picky he can choose between the Fish and the spinach on his plate. If he started acting like he was ONLY going to eat apples I would pull apples out of his choices. You CAN avoid the behavior by being diligent about both giving choices and making sure that the things that cause ruts are taken off the table when things start to go that way.

Way too lazy for formula