Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump weaning a little early

Default pump weaning a little early

Hi All-
    I am going to be moving into a new position at work, and will not have access to an office or really have an opportunity at all to pump. Logistically, it is going to be extremely disruptive to my work, and I am anticipating having to give it up (hopefully not all at once). My son is 10 months - I had planned on weaning from the pump at 1 year, and am kind of bummed out that it doesn't look like I can meet this goal.
    My son currently takes about 10oz a day while I am at work, but some days not all that interested in a bottle at all. He is a great eater, and has no problem with solids.
    We nurse when we are together (3 days a week and evenings/overnight) and I want to continue as long as possible. If I were to wean from the pump and only give him breastmilk when we are together, how do I supplement his nutrition? Cow's milk? Do I just increase the amount of solids?
    Thanks in advance!
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11

Default Re: pump weaning a little early

hi mama, two things:

1. if you need to supplement, formula is the right choice. formula or milk should be primary food until a year. i know in countries other than the US recommendations allow cow's milk at 9 months instead of a year, but still that should be a supplement, not the basis of the nutrition.

2. there are lots of super creative people here who can help you brainstorm the pumping. certainly you'll need at least to wean yourself from the pump during the day. so if you'd like suggestions/ideas, tell us more about your situation!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree with Audrey that you'll need to replace your pumped BM with formula if you're not able to pump. 10 months is too young to be replacing breastmilk with solids or cow's milk. That said, any way you could fit in even one pumping session a day, say in your car on your lunch break? Or maybe in your car on your way to work (using a hands-free pumping bra)? If pumping truly isn't an option, then I think formula during the day is the way to go. Sorry it's probably not what you wanted to hear.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

You'd definitely need to supplement with breast milk or formula until closer to age 1. If pumping at work is really not an option, you might see if you can make room outside of work to try and make up some of the difference. Any long stretches of sleep at night you could set the alarm for and pump? on the commut? lunch break?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I actually pump weaned really early with DS2 and DH just offered solids and some water during the day. For us it was because he pretty much refused to take a bottle after 6 months anyway (long story) so there was no reason for me to pump. We never did cow's milk or formula, he just nursed more when we were together to make up for it. If he is really good with solids it might be possible to make it work without pumping or formula/cow's milk, but I guess it depends on what he is taking in during the day from solids.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I was afraid that formula was the only option here-ugh. I think I can squeeze a pump in at home after the babe goes down for the night, but don't think I can make it work during my workday (I commute on the train, and don't have a formal 'lunch break') any more. Luckily, I think my new position will start in about three weeks, so at least I can pump till then- maybe see if I can build up a stash to get me through the last few weeks of the year.
    Thanks for your help!!!
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11

Be careful about not stopping pumping cold turkey when you start the new position or you might find yourself dealing with some painful engorgement issues (especially if you're going to be pumping extra in the next few weeks to try to build up your stash). My strategy for pump weaning has been to first cut back on the length of time I pump during my least productive session (for most people, it's the last in the day), then cut that session out altogether, then start cutting back on the length of time I pump on the next least productive session, etc.

or, if you're going to ramp up pumping for 3 weeks to get as much as you can, then at least bring a hand pump to work so you can go to the bathroom and pump a little (& dump or save) to relieve engorgement as needed ... surely they don't restrict your bathroom breaks, right?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm also chiming in to caution you on stopping cold turkey. Everyone is different, but I had dropped down to 2 sessions and thought I would be totally pump weaned in 2 weeks (dropping one session a week) and I ended up with a mild case of mastitis

What is your job? Maybe we can help you troubleshoot the logistics. Though I totally understand not wanting to pump in your new position. I would feel the same way.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

If your baby is nursing a lot while you are home, and doing well with solids, you may be able to get away without supplementing at this age. It is possible to get enough breastmilk nutrition by "reverse cycling" if you are nursing a lot at night. This wouldn't work for all babies, but I wouldn't automatically assume you will need to supplement. My second child went completely without supplements during the day starting at 8 months, and did fine - we just nursed a lot while I was home.

I agree with the cautions about pump-weaning slowly. Good luck.

ETA: The suggestion not to bother with supplementing in my situation came from Dr. Newman - we were having trouble because she wouldn't take a bottle, and he said it probably wasn't necessary if she was getting enough at other times.
    Last edited by @llli*manitobamommy; October 28th, 2012 at 11:57 AM.