Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezing milk after 4 days in fridge

Default freezing milk after 4 days in fridge

My LO just started daycare this week and promptly came down with a cold. She was at daycare M-W this week and has been home with me yesterday and today. I have about 8 oz of milk in the daycare fridge that I pumped on Monday and Tuesday. Should I send DH to go get it on his way home from work (it would add an hour onto his commute)? Is it still fine to freeze? I would put it the freezer tonight. Thanks

Default Re: freezing milk after 4 days in fridge

yeah, the Womanly Art basically says, use common sense food handling techniques. it says you can layer things: fridge for a few days, then freezer is fine. not as good as direct to the freezer of course, but the milk should still be fine to use.

but isn't she going to be ad daycare again on monday? can't she have it then?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was being ridiculous sending DH to pick up my old milk. But if it's still usable then I will get him to do it. I can't stand to think of it being dumped down the drain.

The daycare follows pretty conservative milk storage guidelines and won't feed her milk that has been in the fridge more than 5 days. And they don't want it left in the fridge over the weekend. So I think it will go to waste if I don't retrieve it today.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    The daycare follows pretty conservative milk storage guidelines and won't feed her milk that has been in the fridge more than 5 days. And they don't want it left in the fridge over the weekend. So I think it will go to waste if I don't retrieve it today.
    ugh, stupid.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

They can't use cloth diapers either... both state licensing rules. These are my only two complaints so I consider us very lucky! Otherwise, I LOVE this place.

there are always tradeoffs. but WHY do there have to be tradeoffs? why can't daycares accommodate nursing babies like they do formula babies? oh well.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I don't think it's ridiculous to send DH for the milk. Hate, hate, hate dumping milk!