Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is sucking on hands a sign of hunger??

Default Is sucking on hands a sign of hunger??

I have a question... My son who is 3 1/2 months old is continually sucking on his hands. Is this normal for this age, or is he always hungry? I work 8-10 hrs a day and he is drinking BM from a bottle while I am gone that I pump the day before. He gets about 3-4, 3-4oz bottles while I am gone during the day and then I BF him in the evening, night, and morning while I am home with him. Is my son not getting enough milk and that is why he is sucking on his hands, or is it something that this age does? Thanks for the imput.

Default Re: Is sucking on hands a sign of hunger??

Babies love to put everything in their mouths - it's their way of exploring the world. Right now he is discovering and exploring his hands. Give it a couple months and everything he can grab will go straight to his mouth! Also, sucking is very soothing to babies, so babies will suck on their hands for that reason as well. Not necessarily a sign of hunger. His daytime intake sounds appropriate.

My daughter 4 months sucks her hands constantly whether she just nursed for an hour ate a 4oz bottle or is due to eat in the next five minutes. She talks and gurgles around them. They make her happy.

At that young of an age, I typically took it as a sign of hunger. A good way to see if it is or not is to offer the breast. If they take it, then it was hunger. If they don't, then it wasn't. My default is always to offer the breast if I don't know. There's no harm in offering.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I very much agree there is never any harm and often is a good strategy in offering to nurse. But I think that while hand sucking certainly is a typical sign of hunger, it is not always a sign of hunger. After two kids who rarely sucked their hands, my baby daughter loves her hands and has since day one. Actually, prior to day one, as at every ultrasound she was sucking her hands too.

My just turned 5 month old is so interested in having her hands in her mouth that I have seen her try to suck on a finger and nurse at the same time.

My baby does that too.