Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick and tired of sore breasts

Default Sick and tired of sore breasts

My DD is 6 mo now and we have started exploring solids. Mostly oatmeal with breast milk. Lately with such a change every day and night in feeding schedules, my breasts, and nipples too, are super sore. The other night she slept 9 hours straight. I had to get up and pump just to relieve the pain. Then last night she woke up once, her usual schedule. So, today my breasts have been super sore and one duct is backed up. The part in the nipple where the milk comes out is even flowing a lot slower than normal. And on the other side, I'm just sore.

I don't really have milk stored up for oatmeal, so if she doesn't eat from that side, I will pump a little, which isn't often. I massage the problem areas in a hot shower, but it just doesn't seem to help. I don't wanna quit, but I'm just so tired of being super, super sore!!! Please help!!!

Default Re: Sick and tired of sore breasts

hi mama, i'm not sure what you're describing. are you saying your nipples are sore, like from a bad latch? or that you're feeling engorged/full because DD is eating less frequently than she used to?

if engorged, i can see why with the 9 hours straight! usually the advice is to pump/express just enough to be less uncomfortable, and pretty quickly your supply will regulate. BUT: even though you're "exploring" solids, make sure you always nurse first! under 1, solids are just for fun: texture, exploration, etc. so if you've suddenly started nursing less because she's eating more, you can easily switch that pattern back and get the milk flowing again.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

also, how long have you been feeling sore?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hello. Sorry I wasn't specific. Her latch is great. They get sore when my let down happens, but will go away after a bit. However, some days, they are just sore. She isn't really nursing less during the day. It's just really during the night depending on how long she sleeps for. She nurses every 3 hours during the day. So, when I do feed her solids (which I don't do every day) it's usually an hour or hour and a half after her nursing time, that way she keeps her schedule. I do nurse on demand and she keeps a steady schedule for herself.

My breasts are always sore, and not a plugged duct sore. Just heavy feeling, and right now I do have a plugged duct on the bottom that is just super, super sore to even touch. I finally got the one on my other breast to free up, but now I have this one. Also, I have spent so much money on nursing bras because I keep having to go a size up. I finally found some that fit, and now they are too small in the cup size. I just don't know what to do about that, because I can't keep spending money on them when I know they will be too big when I am done with breast feeding. I just don't know what to do about all this discomfort.

i hear you on the nursing bras - i don't know a good solution to that except to use more adjustable/flexible things like shelf-bra tanks (which i do use even though my boobs are really big like 34L right now - i just have given up on "lift and separate" unless i'm at work!). for most people, things are better by 6 months. i'm sorry they're not for you.

so, it sounds like you know what a plugged duct feels like. but you're saying that you're sore in a different way? not engorgement sore? something else?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

So great to hear there are more moms out there with the bra issue!!! It's not engorgement either because I went through that in the very beginning. Maybe it's a plugged duct deep down that I just can't feel. But, they hurt like when you get a really bad bruise (when you touch the bruise, if that makes any sense). Could that still be a plugged duct? It's so sore that I can barely touch it, let alone try to massage the area.

That Kind of soreness sounds like a very bad plug. Maybe even mastitis- any symptoms of that (fever, chills, aches and pains, red patches on the skin of the breast, weird, thick milk)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal, maybe you are right, because my DD only nursed on one side this morning so I had to pump the other and the soreness went away (for the most part). I had mastitis in the first 2 weeks and this doesn't feel like that. Plus, it's hard to tell because I am super sick right now. The red patches I saw were probably from me rubbing really hard. As far as weird thick milk, it doesn't look like it when I pumped, however, I never really pump unless I have to. Aslo, at night, it seems that any position that I sleep in makes it worse. Sleep on my side, it makes the outside of the breast hurt, sleep on my back, it seems to make my supply shoot through the roof!!! Any suggestions with sleeping bras? I have a few different ones, but the don't seem to help.

honestly, this sounds like engorgement to me. and i would be doubly careful about assuming it's NOT mastitis given what you say (super sore, also sick, red patches).

is it possible the sleeping bras might be making things worse? what happens if you go without, or wear a tank top with no support?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Oh, Im sick with bronchitis and sinus infection, boo. It could be the sleeping bras. I leak really bad at night so I would be afraid to, but I will try one of my nursing cammies so I can put the pads in. Thanks, I never thought of that. I have fixed most of the plugged ducts, but this one just keeps getting backed up as if the milk isn't coming out as quick. Also her demand during the day is down, is this normal???