Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis? Help!!!

Default Mastitis? Help!!!

Hi all, please help! need advice and reassurance.... Noticed a "sore spot_ while pumping at work yesterday and suddenly came down with a fever and shivering chills in the afternoon. DD is 13 months and I pump once at noon. Have been tired and stressed so maybe that and a tight bra caused it. Questions

I am doing warm compress, massage, nursing more etc, milk from that side was thick yesterday and when I pumped today, clear, does that mean its gone?
    j
    No more fever but do still feel super exhausted, sore and a stiff area on that breast but it goes away on nursing or pumping. red spot was there yesterday but it went away. is this mastitis and any other moms who have had it _ when do you go to a doc?

Default Re: Mastitis? Help!!!

That definitely sounds like mastitis, and it sounds like you were able to beat it back with the massage/heat/pump/compress/nurse routine. If this was a Monday, I'd say that you shouldn't call the doc unless the symptoms come back (fever, chills, aches and pains, red spot, painful breast), because it really sounds like you took care of the problem. But since it's Thursday, I think you want to call and make sure that you would be able to get a scrip for antibiotics over the weekend, if you see a resurgence of symptoms. I wouldn't want the mastitis to come roaring back on a Friday and then have you not be able to get treated until Monday!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It definitely sounds like mastitis. The fact that you still feel super exhausted makes me think you are still infected (when I had mastitis, I actually did not have fever, just felt incredibly exhausted and achy and had a red, hard breast). If it is mastitis, getting antibiotics sooner rather than later is on order, so I think it's a good idea to try to get in and see your doctor asap. (Actually, in my case, when I just described my symptoms over the phone to the nurse in my ob's office, it was enough for her to get the script called in....)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    (Actually, in my case, when I just described my symptoms over the phone to the nurse in my ob's office, it was enough for her to get the script called in....)
    So envious over here. My doc wouldn't agree to call in a scrip unless I came in to the office. I was so mad! I'm probably more familiar with the symptoms of mastitis than my GP is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, I was surprised. And you're probably right about your gp!

Thank you so much ladies.. just made an appointment with GP.. I was first thinking of waiting it out, but that makes sense to be on safe side for any weekend flare ups!!

Thanks for the advice.. just wanted to say, feeling a lot better and didn't take the meds. I think reading about the symptoms on this forum on some of the posts helped me clear it out early on before it got worse. Thanks again! My only issue now is a dip in supply on that side but have a bit of a freezer stock and was anyway going to start çows milk soon...hoping it won't be a problem..

Glad to hear you are feeling better! If you favor that breast with nursing it should help bring the supply back up if that's what you want (may be a good idea to favor that breast in the short term anyway, so that it doesn't get clogged up again...)