Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stomach bug decreased milk supply!!!

Default Stomach bug decreased milk supply!!!

I came down with a stomach bug Monday night. I vomitted for 7 hours. I still have no appetite, but I am drinking fluids. My milk supply has dramatically decreased. I am in a panick. What should I do to rebuild quickly?

Default Re: Stomach bug decreased milk supply!!!

Keep up with the fluids and keep nursing, nursing, nursing (or pumping, pumping, pumping, if that's what you do). Make sure you get rest, too. If possible just stay in bed and focus on nursing the baby. If you can, have little bites to eat, but that's less important than the fluids, rest, and continuing to nurse.

Excellent advice from the PP. All you need to do is nurse, nurse, nurse, or pump, pump, pump, and do your best to stay hydrated. Little sips of flat ginger ale every 5 minutes or so will do the trick if you can't keep a whole glass down.

No need to take the baby off the breast, just in case you have done so.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

just nursing like the above women said your body will produce again- don't worry! Don't try to "get it all done" that you didn't get done when you were sick, just nurse and nurse and you'll be back to normal soon. If you try to get all those things done your body will get even more tired and you might be prone to putting the baby off and then the supply won't come back as soon and you won't recover as well.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Thanks for all of the support. I have been depressed & discouraged since the supply went down. I had worked so hard at building it. Im forcing down fluids & some snacks. The baby seems content. Ive only been breastfeeding & not using stored milk. Her diaper output is good too so maybe Im producing more then I think I am. Thanks again.

How old is your baby? Often moms mistake normal adjustments to supply for low supply- and the adjustments can happen very quickly when you're sick and the body hurries to cut back on excess production. When supply is well matched to demand, it's normal to never or only rarely feel full, to leak less or not at all, to have little or no letdown sensation, and to see lower output at the pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"