Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Milk Supply w/ Illness - Does it Return When Better?

Default Low Milk Supply w/ Illness - Does it Return When Better?

I caught a stomach bug and have had diarrhea/gas for 4 days. I've noticed my milk supply has decreased tremendously. I supplemented tonight with a bottle from my freezer stash (and then pumped for 30 minutes afterward), but I'm starting to worry b/c I don't seem to be getting any better and don't want to continue to supplement from my freezer stash.

My question is this: When I DO get better, will my supply bounce right back to what it was as long as I keep nursing/pumping? How long until my supply is affected permanently???

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Low Milk Supply w/ Illness - Does it Return When Better?

yup, just nurse as much as possible, second best is to pump more, and your supply will bounce back. hope you're feeling better soon!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Default Re: Low Milk Supply w/ Illness - Does it Return When Better?

Nurse on demand and don't supplement, and your milk supply will bounce back to exactly what it should be.

Often moms who have a supply decrease after illness won't get back everything they lost- if they had oversupply prior to getting sick, that is. So don't freak out if you suddenly rarely or never feel "full", leak less or not at all, feel your letdown less or not at all, and yield less at the pump. As long as you're nursing on demand, your baby will get enough to eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"