Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding an adopted baby

Red face breastfeeding an adopted baby

I breast fed my son for two years, (including during my second pregnancy with my daughter and 6 months of tandem breast feeding). I nursed my daughter for 2.5 years. Now I am hoping to nurse our next child, whom we will be adopting soon. Anyone with experience with restarting milk supply? I am not producing milk now, but I have a double-electric pump I can begin with. I would appreciate any words of advice.

Thanks,
    Kathy

Default Re: breastfeeding an adopted baby

This is definately possible! Speak to your ob/gyn about it as there are hormones, herbs, and medications (galactagogues) you can take that will help. Martha Sears speaks about this in "The Baby Book" by her dh, Dr. William Sears (this book is my bible). She did it with her adoptive daughter. I believe I also saw a similar situation on Dr. Phil. That woman was able to take galactagogues and use a pump so she had a supply well established prior to her adopted baby's birth. She was able to be in the delivery room and nurse right away (how special!)

Ok...Just consulted the Sears book and this information may help further:
    Steps for Induced Lactation:
    1. Seek advice and support from mother's who have successfully bf their adoptive babies-- you're already on the right track!
    2. Consult a lactation consultant as soon as you know you are getting a baby. The ideal situation is to know before the baby is born. A month's prep is best, but not absolutely necessary.
    3. Obtain the following tools:
    -electric breast pump (can be rented), preferably one with a double pumping system and simulate sucking at the breast by pumping your breasts as often as you would feed a new born (at least every 2 hours)
    -breastfeeding supplementer. This consists of a plastic container to hold breast milk or formula, connected to a feeding tube to deliver it. THe supplementer is suspended by a cord around your nexk and rests between your breasts. TIny flexible tubings extend from the supplementer and rest over the mother's nipple. While sucking at your breast the baby draws milk from the supplementer throught he tubing. ANy of your milk present in your breast also comes to the baby through your nipple.
    3. choose a pediatrician who is experienced in counseling adoptive breastfeeding mthers.
    4. make arrangements if possible to be present at deliver so baby can begin bonding with you and you can be the first to feed the baby (no bottles!)
    5. While the baby is in the hospital try to be present for as many feedings as you can. With the help of a lc begin feeding the baby formula at your breast with a supplementer. IF you can't be present ask the nurses to use the finger and syringe method of feeding to avoid bottle feeding.
    6. Remember it's the FREQUENCEY of sucking that stimulates milk. So nurse or pump as often as possible! Most mothers will begin producing some milk in three to four weeks.
    7. Wear your baby alot. (for more information go to peppermint.com or thebabywearer.com) Massage your baby and sleep with your baby. The closer you are to your infant the more your supply will increase.
    8. try not to focus on how soon you will produce milk or how much. Even after your milk appears do not establish milk supply expectations; the quantity of milk produced is not the ultimate goal. The close bonding that breastfeeding helps you achieve is the main benefit of breastfeeding your adopted baby.

I must tell you how thoroughly impressed I am with your commitment to give your child the very best you can offer. Good luck!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Below you'll find some helpful information to get you started.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/adopt.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBadoptive.html
    You also might find this resource helpful (not affiliated w/LLL):
    http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/

You might also want to contact your local LLL Leader and IBCLC for information and support! Please keep us updated.

Moving this thread to relactation/adoptive nursing for more replies...

Lenore has a good web site:

http://www.asklenore.com/breastfeedi...n/biology.html

If you need to buy domperidone I get it from global drug:

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003