Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wonding if my daughter wants back to the breast

Default wonding if my daughter wants back to the breast

Hi i am new here and dont know how this works.

my daughter was born on the 19th november and she was 6 weeks early so she was put into special baby care unit and i wanted to breast feed so i started but they were wanting me up at the hospital every time she wanted fed (every 2/3 hours) which i couldnt do seeing as i have a 5 year old too i lasted a week and really couldnt do it coz i was trying to express and i wasnt getting much out and i was getting too sore with the pump so she went onto bottles but recently she has been trying to suckle both me and my partner (much to his shock lol) so i am wondering if she wants back and feeling she is missing somthing i have tried to see if she would go to the breast and she does the only thing is that i dont think i have any milk to give her as i stopped leaking months ago and when i try nothing comes out at all what can i do about this and how can i get my supply back as i feel she is missing out in such a wonderfull thing for both myself and my daughter.

I couldnt breast feed my son coz he wouldnt latch on so he missed out in it too and i would love to have that experience of giving my daughter what she needs as it will benefit us both.

Please help as i am a little confused about it all and dont know what to do for the best.

Thanx for listening and any advice would be great and very much appreciated.

Thank you Helen xx

Default Re: wonding if my daughter wants back to the breast

Hi Helen,
    I am so sorry that you are having a rough time. I do not have any advice for you about re-lactating, I am sure that it probably is possible and would not hurt for you to put her at the breast as often as need be around the clock. Also remember that bfing works on supply and demand, she has to come to the breast at least every 2-3 hrs to get that milk going. Like I said I do not know much about this area, but I am sure that some will follow that do know a bit more than I do. I also wanted to say that we have friends in Paisley Scotland, The Chalks. Do you know any of them? Best of luck to you and your wee ones! Brittan

Hi Helen,
    Relactation is possible. Try putting your baby to your breast and see if you can get her latched on properly and if she'll nurse. That's a good starting point. Then I'd highly suggest that you work closely with an IBCLC or a LLL Leader during the process. It can be a 2-steps forward, 1-step back kind of process, although certainly do-able if you're motivated enough to do so.

Milk supply depends entirely on removal of milk from the breast/breast stimulation so you'll need to nurse as often as possible and do a lot of pumping to stimulate your breasts to start producing again.

I think it's fantastic that you are even considering relactating. I wish you the best of luck!

Oh, that's fantastic!

You can get your baby back to the breast. It sounds like that's where she wants to be! You might consider talking to your local LLL Leader and/or IBCLC. She can set you up with a supplementary nursing system (a bottle or bag of supplement worn around the neck with tubes that attatch to your breasts) so baby can recieve supplement while feeding at the breast. Not only will it assure that your baby is getting enough to eat while you're working on bringing your milk back in, but the stimulation of your baby nursing will help restart your milk production!

Is your goal to breastfeed your baby some? Fully breastfeed your baby? Or just to comfort your baby at the breast? Knowing the answer to this will help you decide how you want to approach relactation.

In the meanwhile, you might read these resources:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

Good luck! Please keep us updated.

thanx for the help guys you have given me a lot to think about i am going to contact my health visitor on monday and speak to her about it i really think thats what Holly is wanting coz i had her lying on my lap while i was cleaning her ears after a bath and she was trying to latch on through my top so i think this is her telling me to get started the only thing that is worrying me is that she sleeps through the night and she is a very hungry baby she is taking more bottled milk than she really should be at this stage would this make any difference also she is now going through the night after her last feed at midnight thats her to about 8am the next morning will this change if i start feeding her myself. Just a silly Q again how do you know when she is getting enough milk as this is really all new to me and do i give her some bottled milk just incase as this is what they got me to do in the special baby care let her feed for a while then top her up with bottled milk (formula) so that they knew that she was getting enough food.

So i will phone my H/V tomorrow and see how long it takes her to get back to me (as she is like lord lucan to get a hold of) and see what she will say.

Thanx again you have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    Hi Helen,
    I am so sorry that you are having a rough time. I do not have any advice for you about re-lactating, I am sure that it probably is possible and would not hurt for you to put her at the breast as often as need be around the clock. Also remember that bfing works on supply and demand, she has to come to the breast at least every 2-3 hrs to get that milk going. Like I said I do not know much about this area, but I am sure that some will follow that do know a bit more than I do. I also wanted to say that we have friends in Paisley Scotland, The Chalks. Do you know any of them? Best of luck to you and your wee ones! Brittan

Hi brittan paisley is just the next town over from where i stay and i have never heard of them do you have any info on them as i cant find them when i google it lol it will be a great help to me to talk to someone in person about all the Q i have as i dont want to spam up the forums.
    Thanx for that. Helen xx

I will pm you with some info tomorrow. If you do not hear from me pm me as I may forget? My friends sister is actually a midwife in Paisley.

That's great news, Helen!

Don't worry about talking on the forums...that's what they're here for!

Would any of these LLL Leaders be close enough for you to call? I'm sure she'd be happy to help!
    http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/groups/scotland.htm