Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased feedings while away

Default Decreased feedings while away

Since starting daycare at a little over 2 months my LO was drinking 3 ounces every approximately 3 hours. Now at a little over 4 months she is only taking anywhere from 3-4 ounces anywhere from 4-5 hours while at daycare. Is this normal/okay? Her caregiver says that she feeds her whenever she starts to get fussy. Do you think it seems that my caregiver is adjusting my LOs feeding schedule to her preference or is it possible that my LO just isn't hungry as often now? Before she started daycare at she was still nursing anywhere between 2-3 hours but at daycare she was feeding at 8:30, 12:00, and 3:00 (she nursed before daycare at either 4:30 or 5:30 depending on what time we had to leave). I'm not sure if this seems normal for her age or if her caregiver is maybe trying to put her on a 'more convenient' schedule. Oh and she also has been sleeping at night anywhere from 8pm on until I wake her at 5:30am. She hasn't woke up to nurse through the night for awhile now (couple of weeks or longer).

Default Re: Decreased feedings while away

The amount your LO is taking in at daycare seems a little low. The rule of thumb is that babies generally need about 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom. When they don't take in that much, they usually make up for it by nursing a lot more at night, but your baby is sleeping through.

How has her growth been, recently? Has she been sick at all? I don't mean to make you worry- I just think it's worth thinking about those things...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Decreased feedings while away

She is away from me for about 10 hours. She was drinking 9 ounces but this week has only been taking about 8 ounces. She does nurse about every other hour in the evening until bedtime and I nurse her as soon as I get home. Yes she had a cold recently. She has gained a little over 1.5lbs since her 2 month check up and it could be a little more by now. I had her at the doctor's last week because of her congestion and a little cough which turned out being nothing more than post nasal drip due to her cold.