Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suction level on pump?

Default Suction level on pump?

Just a quick question - anyone have any experience or feedback on whether or not the suction level of the pump (I have a Symphony) makes a huge difference in pump output? After let-down, I usually run my pump suction level around 75% (about 3/4 of the way towards the highest level), but for some reason my nipples have been a little sore lately (like the tips of them. Nothing else has changed for me - I don't suspect thrush, baby is not biting or getting teeth yet...), so maybe my pump is just too high? If I keep the speed around 50% or even lower, would it affect output? Or maybe just take longer to pump?

I guess I won't really know until I try, but I thought I'd ask...

Thanks!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Suction level on pump?

With the PISA I had To keep it at 75% power to get enough but I was always struggling with pump output.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Sometimes I find it's actually more effective to dial it back a bit on mine.

But if nothing else has changed and you're getting sore - you may want to double check flange fit. My size changed over the last few months and I went from comfortably using a medium to needing an XL. There was a bit of soreness similar to what you describe in between.

I pump at the highest level that feels comfortable. Here's a weird nipple soreness thing that happened to me: at one point I switched my bra pads, and I started to have some soreness. Switched back to the old kind, and it went away. I think I may have had some kind of reaction to the new pads that was irritating my nipples.

my ameda had the directions to turn up the suction just till it was painful, then dial it back until it wasn't. that being said, i often got better output when i pumped a little lower than that. i'd do a letdown phase with lighter suction/faster cycle for the first 3 mins or so, then turn the suction up and cycle down.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah, if it's hurting, I'd dial it back for a bit. You may want to increase the compressions, etc. Could AF be about to visit?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.