Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping other breast after DD eats off first one...

Default Pumping other breast after DD eats off first one...

Just wondering, early on in the day, say before 3pm, DD usually just eats off one breast. Ive been pumping the other one just in the early morning [7-8am], since its so full from her STTN overnight.

However, I wondered, if I just always pump the other breast, after she is done off the first one and doesn't want the 2nd one, is that alone going to increase my supply?

I wasn't sure how that works?

Default Re: Pumping other breast after DD eats off first one...

Pumping the unused breast will either maintain the overproduction or it will increase it, if you empty the breast really thoroughly. If you're nursing on demand yet still getting really full or engorged, it's generally best to put up with the fullness/engorgement and let your body use that cue to reduce supply. If putting up with the fullness is not endurable, try pumping just enough to relieve your discomfort, leaving some milk in the breast. Allowing some milk to just sit in the breast will cause your body to decrease supply, albeit not quite as fast as if you simply put up with the fullness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Pumping other breast after DD eats off first one...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Pumping the unused breast will either maintain the overproduction or it will increase it, if you empty the breast really thoroughly. If you're nursing on demand yet still getting really full or engorged, it's generally best to put up with the fullness/engorgement and let your body use that cue to reduce supply. If putting up with the fullness is not endurable, try pumping just enough to relieve your discomfort, leaving some milk in the breast. Allowing some milk to just sit in the breast will cause your body to decrease supply, albeit not quite as fast as if you simply put up with the fullness.
    i do not have an overproduction anymore. i only am really full with lumps in breasts in mornings, after sleeping all night as DD STTN and has been since she was 6 weeks. She is 11 1/2 weeks now. The reason I thought about pumping off the side she doesnt nurse off of, is b/c im going back to work on 11/9 and thought it would give my supply a little boost, but not create an oversupply either..if that makes sense.